Be on Alert – Fraudulent Employment Offers. Learn More
@ ICF Next, we are fearless in finding new ways to solve problems, relentless in making sure it pays off for our clients and committed to making a positive change in the world. Working at ICF Next means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth. If you’re seeking to make a difference in the world and to challenge yourself professionally, look no further than our community of mission-driven creatives, communicators, strategists, and technologists who challenge the status quo every day.
ICF supports clients in implementing policies and programs to promote increased readiness for natural disasters and supports immediate response and long-term recovery in housing, economic revitalization, and infrastructure after disaster strikes. We’re currently hiring for an Communications Specialist who will support communications efforts focused on hurricane preparedness and response, as well as other areas of expertise across the company. We are looking for a professional to manage prospective new work for disaster management clients through the development and execution of communications and outreach plans and oversight of local and remote communications teams who work on these projects.
As a Communications Specialist, you will:
- Utilize critical and strategic thinking to take projects from idea to reality.
- Develop effective communications strategies that resonate with target populations (e.g. Limited English Proficiency, low income, limited education, special needs and elderly) to result in education or move a specific action.
- Oversee a staff of communications specialists and community engagement partners to implement communications and outreach initiatives.
- Conceptualize and align with the client to interact with editors, designers, production managers through completion of projects.
- Coordinate and collaborate with internal teams and resources to develop compelling communications materials that utilize traditional marketing and social media tactics.
- Engage with operations and policy teams to develop materials that explain complex program requirements and processes in an easy-to-understand manner.
- Analyze and prepare program data to illustrate measurable results of communications and outreach efforts.
- Work with client to proactively plan for and respond to various levels of public reporting requests.
As a Communications Specialist, you will have:
- BS or BA degree in Communications, Marketing, Public Relations, Advertising, Journalism or related field.
- 7+ years of previous relevant experience in communications.
- 5 years of experience working on emergency/disaster response planning-related projects, for example; FEMA, DHS, or HUD.
- At least a year of experience with disaster recovery experience at the federal level (e.g. FEMA , DHS, or HUD) or other high visibility public program communications experience.
- Previous work experience in a role that provided you with a sound understanding of emergency management response programs and FEMA’s role in coordinating the federal response to support state and local partners.
- Extensive public communications and community engagement experience.
- Excellent writing skills and experience developing communications and outreach strategy recommendations.
- Ability to quickly respond to media and public communications challenges
- Ability to analyze and research issues and offer swift solution/resolution
- Experience working in a consulting firm, development organization, or public agency preferred.
- Exceptional attention to detail and quality control, with the ability to manage multiple ongoing projects and activities
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving and decision-making capabilities
- Demonstrated client relationship skills working in a dynamic client environment
- Superior interpersonal skills including courtesy, professionalism and cooperative attitude
- Team player with the ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Results-driven, creative thinker with innovative approach to problem solving
- Ability to effectively prioritize and manage multiple tasks to meet aggressive deadlines
- Ability to work both independently and in a team-oriented, collaborative environment
- Proficiency in MS Office Applications (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Excel)
- Knowledge of plain language principles
Job Location(s): Washington, DC metro area. This position may have requirements for regular on-site work at the client office.
Must have ability to travel as needed, around 30% within the US.
Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth.
We can only solve the world's toughest challenges by building an inclusive workplace that allows everyone to thrive. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to hiring regardless of any protected characteristic, such as race, ethnicity, national origin, color, sex, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability status, or military/veteran status. Together, our employees are empowered to share their expertise and collaborate with others to achieve personal and professional goals. For more information, please read our EEO & AA policy.
COVID-19 Policy: New or prospective U.S. employees must provide proof of complete vaccination on the date of their commencement of employment. If selected for employment, you will provide proof of your full vaccination status, defined as vaccinated two weeks after receiving the requisite number of doses of a COVID-19 vaccine approved or authorized for emergency use by the FDA.
Reasonable Accommodations are available, including, but not limited to, for disabled veterans, individuals with disabilities, and individuals with sincerely held religious beliefs, in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an accommodation please email email@example.com and we will be happy to assist. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations. Read more about non-discrimination: EEO is the law and Pay Transparency Statement.
DC Remote Office (DC99)