Be on Alert – Fraudulent Employment Offers. Learn More
Climate Change Researcher (Washington DC, NYC or San Francisco)
A problem as complex and interconnected as climate change requires a multidisciplinary approach that takes into account a diversity of perspectives to achieve meaningful solutions. Come join a team that is working towards more inclusive and resilient communities, saving energy, and helping the world mitigate and adapt to the impacts from climate change. ICF is at the forefront of preparing leading-edge technical and policy analyses, identifying viable market solutions, building real-world management tools, and implementing programs to decarbonize our economy and reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Our team works with all levels of government, multilateral institutions, and commercial clients to develop emissions inventories and carbon footprints; conduct greenhouse gas mitigation policy analyses; implement climate-related policies and programs; develop climate action plans and sustainability strategies; and support organizational sustainability.
You will be responsible for supporting ICF managers on projects related to GHG inventories and reductions, climate and sustainability planning, and management of ozone depleting substances and non-CO2 GHGs. Projects will range from technical, data-driven analyses to writing reports for general audiences to supporting external workshops and communication activities. You will be an essential member of 2- to 7-person project teams that will depend on you to help create accurate, timely, and high-quality products and services. You are likely to work on multiple projects, interact with all levels of staff, and have some client interaction. At ICF you have an opportunity to apply your academic knowledge and lived experience, gain exposure to major projects, and interact with experts and clients in the field, while also building content knowledge and consulting skills.
This is an entry-level position, intended for candidates who have 0-1 years of experience and are available to start working in fall 2021.
This position will be located in New York, NY, Washington, DC, or San Francisco, CA.
Examples of what you might do...
- Perform quantitative problem-solving, perform data collection and analysis, and manage large datasets.
- Write reports for technical and general audiences.
- Review literature, conduct research, and synthesize findings into concise and well-written summaries.
- Interact with clients.
- Prepare presentations, reports, memoranda, and other communication materials.
- Translate technical topics into terms that are meaningful to more general audiences.
- Provide logistical and planning support for meetings and workshops.
- Work with small teams to prepare high-quality products, pitching in wherever necessary.
- Collaborate, communicate, and work efficiently to complete assigned tasks.
What you'll need...
- Bachelor's Degree in areas related to Environmental Studies or other Earth Sciences, Environmental Management, Environmental Justice, Ecology, Engineering, Economics, Chemistry, or Public Policy.
- Demonstrated interest and/or experience (professional and non-professional) in climate- and sustainability-related areas.
- Preferred interest and/or experience in environmental justice and/or international development
Essential Skills Required
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office.
- Excellent time management skills, with ability to prioritize and multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work in a collaborative manner and establish strong working relationships all levels of internal staff and outside clients and stakeholders.
- Ability to take ownership of tasks and seek input when needed.
- Sound business ethics, including the protection of proprietary and confidential information.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Motivation to continuously develop and improve subject-matter knowledge and professional skills and take on increasing responsibility on projects over time.
- Ability to be a reliable and proactive team member willing to contribute to projects in a variety of ways.
Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth. If you’re seeking to make a difference in the world, visit www.icf.com/careers to find your next career. ICF—together for tomorrow.
We can only solve the world's toughest challenges by building an inclusive workplace that allows everyone to thrive. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to hiring regardless of any protected characteristic, such as race, ethnicity, national origin, color, sex, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability status, or military/veteran status. Together, our employees are empowered to share their expertise and collaborate with others to achieve personal and professional goals. For more information, please read our EEO & AA policy.
COVID-19 Policy: New or prospective U.S. employees must provide proof of complete vaccination on the date of their commencement of employment. If selected for employment, you will provide proof of your full vaccination status, defined as vaccinated two weeks after receiving the requisite number of doses of a COVID-19 vaccine approved or authorized for emergency use by the FDA.
Reasonable Accommodations are available, including, but not limited to, for disabled veterans, individuals with disabilities, and individuals with sincerely held religious beliefs, in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an accommodation please email email@example.com and we will be happy to assist. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations. Read more about non-discrimination: EEO is the law and Pay Transparency Statement.
Arlington, VA (VA31)