Be on Alert – Fraudulent Employment Offers. Learn More
Climate Change Researcher
Climate Change Researcher Position
It's not hard to come to work each day when you're preventing pollution, saving energy, and helping the world mitigate and become more resilient to impacts from climate change. ICF is at the forefront of preparing leading-edge technical and policy analyses, identifying viable market solutions, building real-world management tools, and implementing programs to decarbonize our economy and reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Our team works with all levels of government, multilateral institutions and commercial clients to develop emissions inventories and carbon footprints; conduct greenhouse gas mitigation policy analyses; implement climate-related policies and programs; develop climate action plans and sustainability strategies; and support organizational sustainability.
You will be responsible for supporting ICF managers on projects related to GHG inventories and reductions and climate and sustainability planning. Projects will range from technical, data-driven analyses to writing reports for general audiences to supporting external workshops and communication activities. You will be an essential member of 2- to 7-person project teams that will depend on you to help create accurate, timely, and high quality products and services. You are likely to work on multiple projects, interact with all levels of staff, and have some client interaction. At ICF you have an opportunity to apply your academic knowledge, gain exposure to major projects, and interact with experts and clients in the field, while also building content knowledge and consulting skills.
This is an entry-level position, intended for candidates who have 0-1 years of experience and are available to start working in summer 2021.
This position will be located in Washington, DC.
What you'll do...
- Perform quantitative problem-solving, perform data collection and analysis, and manage large datasets.
- Write reports for technical and general audiences.
- Review literature, conduct research, and synthesize findings into concise and well-written summaries.
- Interact with clients.
- Prepare presentations, reports, memoranda, and other communication materials.
- Translate technical topics into terms that are meaningful to more general audiences.
- Provide logistical and planning support for meetings and workshops.
- Work with small teams to prepare high-quality products, pitching in wherever necessary.
- Complete tasks in fast-paced and self-motivated environment in a timely and efficient manner.
What you'll need...
- Bachelor's Degree in Environmental or other Earth Sciences, Environmental Management, Engineering, Economics, Chemistry, Public Policy or related subjects.
- Demonstrated interest and/or experience in climate- and sustainability-related areas.
- Preferred interest and/or experience in waste/materials management
- Cumulative and major GPA of at least 3.2 or higher.
Essential Skills Required
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office.
- Excellent time management skills, with ability to prioritize and multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Sound business ethics, including the protection of proprietary and confidential information.
- Ability to work in a collaborative manner and establish strong working relationships all levels of internal staff and outside clients and stakeholders.
- Demonstrated leadership skills.
- Ability to take ownership of tasks and seek input when needed.
- Ability to be a reliable and proactive team member willing to contribute to projects in a variety of ways.
- Motivation to continuously develop and improve subject-matter knowledge and professional skills and take on increasing responsibility on projects over time.
Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth. If you’re seeking to make a difference in the world, visit www.icf.com/careers to find your next career. ICF—together for tomorrow.
ICF is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. (EOE – Minorities/Females/ Protected Veterans Status/Disability Status/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity). For more information, please read our EEO & AA policy.
Reasonable Accommodations are available for disabled veterans and applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an accommodation please email email@example.com and we will be happy to assist. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations. Read more about non-discrimination: EEO is the law and Pay Transparency Statement.
Arlington, VA (VA31)