Be on Alert – Fraudulent Employment Offers. Learn More
Climate Change and Sustainability Specialist
It's not hard to come to work each day when you're preventing pollution, saving energy, and helping the world mitigate and become more resilient to impacts from climate change. ICF is at the forefront of preparing leading-edge technical and policy analyses, identifying viable market solutions, building real-world management tools, and implementing programs to decarbonize our economy and reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Our team works with all levels of government, multilateral institutions and commercial clients to develop emissions inventories and carbon footprints; conduct greenhouse gas mitigation policy analyses; develop climate action plans and sustainability strategies; support organizational sustainability; and assess the performance of global programs (e.g., climate funds, multilateral development banks), and identify ways they could improve.
You will be responsible for supporting ICF managers on projects related to GHG inventories and reductions and climate and sustainability planning for private sector and federal clients. Projects will range from technical, data-driven analyses to writing reports for general audiences to supporting external workshops and communication activities. At ICF you have an opportunity to apply your academic knowledge, gain exposure to major projects, and interact with experts and clients in the field, while also building content knowledge and consulting skills.
This position is intended for candidates with a Master’s degree or comparable work experience who are available to start working immediately. An estimated 80% of time for this position will be devoted to a private sector client, with 20% available for other ICF project work. This position will be located in Arlington or Fairfax, Virginia with two days out of the week on-site at a client office in Herndon, VA, (once the client returns to the office).
What you'll do...
- Assist in the development and execution of sustainability strategies across operations and projects
- Perform quantitative problem-solving, perform data collection and technical analysis, and manage large datasets
- Write reports for technical and general audiences
- Interact with clients and coordinate with cross-functional teams
- Prepare presentations, reports, memoranda, and other communication materials
- Translate technical topics into terms that are meaningful to more general audiences
- Provide logistical and planning support for meetings and workshops
- Work with small teams to prepare high-quality products, pitching in wherever necessary
- Complete tasks in fast-paced and self-motivated environment in a timely and efficient manner
What you'll need...
- Master’s Degree or equivalent combination of education and experience in Environmental or other Earth Sciences, Sustainability Management, Environmental Management, Engineering, Public Policy, or related subjects
- Demonstrated interest and/or experience in climate- and sustainability-related areas, specifically greenhouse gas (GHG) accounting, green building, and corporate sustainability and environmental, social and governance (ESG)
- 2+ years of work experience in a similar role
- Cumulative and major GPA of at least 3.2 or higher
Essential Skills Required
- A strong professional background in, and aptitude for, sustainability and project management, strong client relations and an ability to mentor, teach and train effectively
- Ability to constructively advise stakeholders/partners, with demonstrated experience collaborating with NGOs
- Experience with corporate sustainability reporting and metric development
- Strong knowledge of green building standards, Beyond Net Zero and Circular Economy principles
- Strong relationship-building skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- An aptitude for innovation, ability to create and successfully implement new programs
- Ability to synthesize new information quickly
Additional Desired Attributes
- German language proficiency
- Prior experience in conducting supply-chain and manufacturing process lifecycle assessments
- Familiarity with tracking and reporting to mechanisms such as CDP, GRI and the Task Force on Climate-Related Financial Disclosures (TCFD)
- Experience in implementing waste reduction and water-use efficiency programs
Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth. If you’re seeking to make a difference in the world, visit www.icf.com/careers to find your next career. ICF—together for tomorrow.
We can only solve the world's toughest challenges by building an inclusive workplace that allows everyone to thrive. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to hiring regardless of any protected characteristic, such as race, ethnicity, national origin, color, sex, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability status, or military/veteran status. Together, our employees are empowered to share their expertise and collaborate with others to achieve personal and professional goals. For more information, please read our EEO & AA policy.
COVID-19 Policy: New or prospective U.S. employees must provide proof of complete vaccination on the date of their commencement of employment. If selected for employment, you will provide proof of your full vaccination status, defined as vaccinated two weeks after receiving the requisite number of doses of a COVID-19 vaccine approved or authorized for emergency use by the FDA.
Reasonable Accommodations are available, including, but not limited to, for disabled veterans, individuals with disabilities, and individuals with sincerely held religious beliefs, in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an accommodation please email email@example.com and we will be happy to assist. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations. Read more about non-discrimination: EEO is the law and Pay Transparency Statement.
Arlington, VA (VA31)