Be on Alert – Fraudulent Employment Offers. Learn More
Business Development Manager - Utility or Energy Sector - Remote
ICF’s utility practice is poised for significant growth over the next five years. From decarbonization of energy generation, to grid modernization, to energy efficiency and electrification of buildings and vehicles, ICF’s utility clients are at the center of a fundamental shift in the energy industry. We are looking for an energetic, passionate, and driven Business Development (BD) Manager to help utilities across North America solve some of the biggest challenges facing the “future of energy.”
As a BD Manager, you will be expected to build, qualify, and manage a pipeline of opportunities that will position ICF for significant growth over the next two years.
What you will be doing:
In the first month, you will be expected to:
- Be able to communicate the value and components of ICF’s core solution set for utilities.
- Learn and demonstrate understanding of ICF’s capture and business development processes
- Develop relationships with key business partners across the Utility Programs and Services division and within the business development team.
- In partnership with the delivery team, create a targeted pipeline of utilities and list of utility contacts, by solution, and begin qualifying leads.
- In partnership with the delivery team, collaborate to create a list of expansion opportunities with key utility clients.
In the first six months, you will be expected to:
- Develop a qualified pipeline of at least $30M.
- Actively lead a minimum of 5 pursuits, concurrently. Expectation is that the person in this role will lead the entire lifecycle of the sale, from deal qualification, to discovery, through proposal creation, client presentation, and negotiations.
- Develop win strategies and identify and document critical activities for the pursuit.
- Participate in activities such as pipeline reviews, forecasting, gate reviews, proposal reviews, etc.
- Serve as red team reviewer for at least three competitive proposals, across solution sets.
- Source teaming partners and negotiate teaming agreements and work share among partners.
- Develop relationships with key business development leaders across ICF’s four operating groups and within our corporate center of excellence.
Within the first year, you will be expected to:
- Actively engage in and contribute to relevant strategy development and business planning
- Work in coordination with marketing team to develop thought leadership, targeted campaigns, social media activity.
- Participate in business planning activities to include regular pipeline and gate reviews, as well as proposal reviews; diligently maintain CRM notes and reports/updates on opportunities
- In coordination with delivery teams, accurately price ICF solutions to achieve profitability and revenue metrics.
- Create business plans and business models, value propositions, and win strategies to increase ICF’s solution offerings into new markets or with new utility divisions.
Who you are:
The right person for this role will bring all or a majority of the following qualifications and experience:
- 5+ years of prior business development and capture management experience. Preference given to candidates with experience in the utility or energy sectors and who can demonstrate market and domain knowledge.
- Record of leading multiple pursuits and winning new business with total contract values above $10M.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with outstanding interpersonal facilitation and negotiation skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to gain support and establish working relationships with program/project managers, technical leads, SMEs, peers, and all levels of internal staff
- Firm understanding of a disciplined capture process; strong organizational skills, initiative, and commitment to high-quality work.
- Ability to apply critical thinking and properly analyze and qualify opportunities, including sound recommendations for go/no-go decisions.
- A professional demeanor and positive attitude, even while working in a fast-paced environment and with an integrated business development team.
- A Bachelor's degree
Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth. If you’re seeking to make a difference in the world, visit www.icf.com/careers to find your next career. ICF—together for tomorrow.
ICF is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. (EOE – Minorities/Females/ Protected Veterans Status/Disability Status/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity). For more information, please read our EEO & AA policy.
Reasonable Accommodations are available for disabled veterans and applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an accommodation please email email@example.com and we will be happy to assist. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations. Read more about non-discrimination: EEO is the law and Pay Transparency Statement.
California Remote Office (CA99)