Be on Alert – Fraudulent Employment Offers. Learn More
Biologist (On-Call, Southern CA)
Wildlife & Aquatic Biologists - Southern California
ICF was awarded a large-scale, multi-year sensitive resource surveying and monitoring contract for private and public lands with a large utility client. Therefore, we are expanding our natural resources team and seeking On-call Wildlife & Aquatic Biologist to support a variety of environmental compliance field projects located across southern California.
Job Description The Wildlife & Aquatic Biologists will conduct biological and aquatic resource surveys and monitor sensitive resources during construction activities related to compliance monitoring for the projects. The Wildlife & Aquatic Biologists may function as a liaison between the ICF project management team and construction contractor to facilitate compliance with environmental mitigation measures and permit conditions. The Wildlife & Aquatic Biologists will work under the supervision of our project management team, task order managers, and senior biologists and work collaboratively with project schedulers, other members of the field team including subcontractors to implement and complete biological resource survey and construction monitoring assignments.
Work schedule includes 10-14-hour workdays for up to 6 days a week. Per diem may be included for extended assignments and field vehicles will be available.
About On-Call Employment with ICF International
Given the seasonal or project-specific nature of our environmental work, ICF often hires environmental professionals as “On-Call” employees. On-Call employees are scheduled for work hours as they become available (we usually schedule work hours a few weeks ahead of time), and each on-call employee is free to accept or refuse the hours assigned to them on a weekly or monthly basis. On-Call employees may work concurrent projects outside of their ICF assignment (granted their non-ICF work does not create a conflict of interest with the work conducted for ICF).
What You Will Do
- Working collaboratively with our project schedulers updating availability and potential work schedule conflicts.
- Conducting field surveys for regulated biological and aquatic resources in support of project environmental review.
- Conducting monitoring and documentation of sensitive resources during construction activities.
- Reviewing and implementing a wide range of client specific project procedures ensuring process consistency on how work is implemented, and resources documented.
- Working closely with construction crews and/or other environmental monitors to support client and various resource agency requirements.
- Advocate safety as a top priority
What You Must Have
- Bachelors’ Degree in Biology, Wildlife Biology, Environmental Science, or related field.
- One year of work experience
- Previous construction monitoring experience.
- Previous field experience working in southern California vegetation communities and wildlife habitats.
- Previous experience conducting nesting bird surveys including documenting and monitoring active nests.
- Knowledge of implementing various regulatory commitments including NEPA/CEQA mitigation measures, ESA/CESA terms and conditions, and USACE and regional water quality board stipulations and permit conditions.
- Proficiency in MS Office Applications (Word, Outlook, Excel).
- Must have valid driver’s license and successfully pass a Motor Vehicle Records (MVR) check.
What We’d Like You to Have
- Construction monitoring within southern California forest and desert habitats.
- Previous experience supporting survey or monitoring of sensitive terrestrial wildlife species.
- Previous experience supporting aquatic resource delineations and mapping.
- Holding resource agency permits and authorizations related to special status species/species of concern that occur in southern California.
- Collaborator with the ability to work in a demanding environment.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to be flexible to oversee multiple priorities and to work overtime as necessary.
- Sound business ethics, including the protection of proprietary and confidential information.
- Credentials and experience may require USFS, BLM and CDF&W approvals.
- Proficiency with field data collection tools including Collector, Field Maps, Fulcrum, Survey 123.
This is an outstanding opportunity to work with talented and passionate individuals and to grow with a firm that believes in nurturing talent and developing long-term career success. ICF is a purpose driven company with a strong culture and underlying values that prize diversity, opportunity, equality, and respect. Our core values include Embracing Differences, and we seek candidates who are passionate about building a culture that encourages, embraces and hires dimensions of differences.
Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth.
We can only solve the world's toughest challenges by building an inclusive workplace that allows everyone to thrive. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to hiring regardless of any protected characteristic, such as race, ethnicity, national origin, color, sex, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability status, or military/veteran status. Together, our employees are empowered to share their expertise and collaborate with others to achieve personal and professional goals. For more information, please read our EEO & AA policy.
Reasonable Accommodations are available, including, but not limited to, for disabled veterans, individuals with disabilities, and individuals with sincerely held religious beliefs, in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an accommodation please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to assist. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations. Read more about non-discrimination: EEO is the law and Pay Transparency Statement.
Los Angeles, CA (CA80)