Be on Alert – Fraudulent Employment Offers. Learn More
Behavioral Health Research Scientist
Behavioral Health Research Scientist
ICF seeks a Research Scientist to support research and evaluation activities related to public health. Our Public Health practice services clients such as the CDC, SAMHSA, HRSA, private and nonprofit organizations, and state governments. We focus on designing and leading efforts including single and multi-site research and evaluation, treatment and cost effectiveness studies, performance monitoring; and the analysis of primary and extant data to understand relationship, process, outcome, and impact.
Primary responsibilities for this position will include performing assignments related to ongoing research and evaluation tasks across several public health initiatives, under the direction of senior-level staff and in partnership with other research staff. The Research Scientist will be responsible for leading key tasks and assisting in the performance of social science research by gathering information, collecting data, and analyzing data. The Research Scientist will help to disseminate information through report writing, manuscript and journal articles, professional conference presentations, and the creation of innovative data visualizations. In addition, the Research Scientist will assist in contract and/or grant proposal efforts by writing key sections and assisting proposal managers as needed.
Our ideal candidate is a detail-oriented self-starter who can work independently to solve problems creatively and work effectively within a team, while contributing to overall project goals across multiple study components. Candidates must be able to synthesize qualitative and quantitative information from a variety of sources and juggle multiple tasks, have familiarity with a wide variety of public health and human services issues, and interact effectively with clients and colleagues.
Experience in any of the following content areas is a plus: suicide prevention, overdose prevention, adverse childhood experiences, global health, and health disparities elimination. Experience working with SAMHSA also a plus.
With the supervision of more experienced researchers, the Research Scientist assignments will include the following:
- Perform background research on specified topics and synthesize material in the form of annotated bibliographies and literature reviews.
- Collect primary data through conducting interviews, focus groups, or surveys. Lead and/or participate in site visits.
- Perform quantitative research activities, such as: survey design, data coding and management, and data analysis.
- Manage databases and clean and validate data using statistical analysis software such as R, SPSS, SAS, or Stata.
- Analyze primary and secondary data using statistical methods (e.g., regression and other statistical modeling).
- Develop presentations, writing drafts of methods, approaches, and findings for client deliverables.
- Write sections for manuscripts, reports, and journal articles.
- Present findings at professional conferences.
- Creation data visualizations.
- Bachelor’s degree in public health, psychology, sociology, statistics, economics, or related field required. Master’s degree in same fields strongly preferred.
- 3+ years of relevant experience in applied social science research.
- Demonstrated experience and mastery of statistical software (i.e., R, SPSS, SAS, Stata), preferably with strong skills in programming/syntax.
- Experience in report-writing and other technical writing.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office software (i.e., Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and/or Access) is essential in this fast-paced client-oriented environment.
- Experience with advanced statistical techniques, such as social network analysis, cost-benefit analysis, geospatial analysis/mapping, or advanced modeling (e.g., regression with diverse distributions, SEM, HLM).
- Experience with data dashboarding and/or visualization.
- Project and/or task management with little oversight or direction.
- Experience in consulting or other similarly fast-paced, demanding environments.
- Superior writing skills including editing ability (writing sample may be requested).
- Strong organizational skills, superior attention to detail, and ability to meet stringent deadlines.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making capabilities.
- Superior interpersonal skills including professionalism, courtesy, and a cooperative attitude.
- Candidate should be able to work efficiently and effectively as part of a team and be self-motivated.
- Ability to be flexible, multi-task, prioritize, and manage multiple activities simultaneously in a fast-paced, changing environment.
- Ability to interact effectively with clients and colleagues.
Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth. If you’re seeking to make a difference in the world, visit www.icf.com/careers to find your next career. ICF—together for tomorrow.
We can only solve the world's toughest challenges by building an inclusive workplace that allows everyone to thrive. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to hiring regardless of any protected characteristic, such as race, ethnicity, national origin, color, sex, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability status, or military/veteran status. Together, our employees are empowered to share their expertise and collaborate with others to achieve personal and professional goals. For more information, please read our EEO & AA policy.
COVID-19 Policy: New or prospective U.S. employees must provide proof of complete vaccination on the date of their commencement of employment. If selected for employment, you will provide proof of your full vaccination status, defined as vaccinated two weeks after receiving the requisite number of doses of a COVID-19 vaccine approved or authorized for emergency use by the FDA.
Reasonable Accommodations are available, including, but not limited to, for disabled veterans, individuals with disabilities, and individuals with sincerely held religious beliefs, in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an accommodation please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to assist. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations. Read more about non-discrimination: EEO is the law and Pay Transparency Statement.
Atlanta, GA (GA18)