Be on Alert – Fraudulent Employment Offers. Learn More
Agriculture and Land Use Climate Consultant (Arlington, VA, NYC or REMOTE)
ICF is looking for a Climate Change and Sustainability Consultant who will provide technical expertise, management of projects, and business development for a growing practice of work around agriculture, forestry, and land use practices, including greenhouse gas accounting, management, and reductions as well as strategies to promote climate resilience. The ideal candidate will also have a strong technical background and expertise, such that they can both manage and provide technical leadership on projects.
ICF is at the forefront of preparing leading-edge technical and policy analyses, identifying viable market solutions, building real-world management tools, and implementing programs to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. In climate change and environmental markets, ICF has advised more than 30 governments and international institutions and served more than 60 companies in the FT Global 500. We develop emissions inventories and carbon footprints; conduct greenhouse gas mitigation policy analyses; assist clients with offset and carbon credit projects; support organizational sustainability; assess the performance of global programs (e.g., climate funds, multilateral development banks), and identify ways they could improve; and support federal, state, local, international, and private sector clients on analyses related to climate change impacts and vulnerabilities, among other service offerings. We offer our clients around the globe unparalleled analytical, policy, and business management services.
***Arlington/Crystal City, VA or NYC locations preferred, but we will consider remote work for an ideal candidate.***
What you’ll be doing…
- Program Management, Technical Leadership, and Execution: Drive successful execution of projects; understand clients’ current and emerging needs and deliver innovative and efficient services. Provide technical leadership and expertise on projects. Serve as project manager, task lead, or strategic advisor for a portfolio of projects. Develop and execute work plans, direct teams of support staff, and perform quality assurance for work products. The mix of projects and clients will depend on success and is expected to evolve over time.
- Business Development: Responsible for understanding emerging needs in the practice area, positioning ICF in key markets, particularly federal climate markets, and developing creative solutions. Lead capture and proposal development for select opportunities, working closely with senior leadership and leveraging mid-level and junior staff for proposal support. Attend key industry events and enhance ICF’s reputational capital through publications, social media, etc. Collaborate with other ICF groups. Business development pursuits will include opportunities with federal agencies, state and local government agencies, utilities, and the private sector.
This position is intended for candidates with a Master's degree or comparable work experience who are available to start working immediately.
What you’ll need to have…
- Master’s Degree or equivalent combination of education and experience in Forestry, Land Use Management, Agricultural Sciences, Environmental or other Earth Sciences, Engineering, Biology, Public Policy, or related subjects.
- 5+ years of relevant experience, at least 2 years of project management experience
- Familiarity with carbon and GHG accounting, climate change mitigation, and/or sustainability
- Knowledge of GHG protocols or estimating GHG emissions from agriculture, forestry, and land use.
- Familiarity with climate-smart agriculture, forestry, and/or land use (including wetlands and mangroves) practices and technologies
- Understanding of climate and agriculture policies and programs
- Proficiency in MS Office Applications (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Excel)
Our Preferred Skills/Experience…
- Experience (lived or professional) working in agriculture, forestry, and/or with farmers and farming communities
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills; ability to communicate complex climate information to non-scientists to inform decision making processes
- Experience working with and leading multi-disciplinary teams
- Organized, detail oriented, and the ability to prioritize and multi-task
- Demonstrated ability to manage cross-functional teams, staff resources, schedules, and budgets.
- Experience with environmental justice issues related to rural and agricultural communities
- Experience with food security and reducing food waste.
- Experience with wildfire management/monitoring as a natural climate solution.
- Experience building and managing client relationships.
- Experience conducting life cycle assessments (LCAs)
- Experience in carbon markets.
- Technical and team management experience for complex projects in a consulting environment
- Experience in a consulting environment
- Technical and communications expertise
- Sound business ethics, including the protection of proprietary and confidential information.
Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth. If you’re seeking to make a difference in the world, visit www.icf.com/careers to find your next career. ICF—together for tomorrow.
We can only solve the world's toughest challenges by building an inclusive workplace that allows everyone to thrive. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to hiring regardless of any protected characteristic, such as race, ethnicity, national origin, color, sex, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability status, or military/veteran status. Together, our employees are empowered to share their expertise and collaborate with others to achieve personal and professional goals. For more information, please read our EEO & AA policy.
COVID-19 Policy: New or prospective U.S. employees must provide proof of complete vaccination on the date of their commencement of employment. If selected for employment, you will provide proof of your full vaccination status, defined as vaccinated two weeks after receiving the requisite number of doses of a COVID-19 vaccine approved or authorized for emergency use by the FDA.
Reasonable Accommodations are available, including, but not limited to, for disabled veterans, individuals with disabilities, and individuals with sincerely held religious beliefs, in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an accommodation please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to assist. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations. Read more about non-discrimination: EEO is the law and Pay Transparency Statement.
Arlington, VA (VA31)