Be on Alert – Fraudulent Employment Offers. Learn More
Historic Preservation Specialist
ICF is currently seeking a Mid-Level Historic Preservation Specialist to be based out of our San Francisco, CA office. The option to work remotely within the Bay Area is also an option.
The Mid-Level Historic Preservation Specialist will work under the supervision of our cultural resources team leads and will assist in research, fieldwork, project management, and reporting for cultural resources projects. With direction from senior staff, the specialist will conduct historical research for context statements and property histories; serve as crew member for architectural surveys; prepare DPR 523 forms; compose historical contexts; evaluate properties for National and California Register eligibility; and analyze project impacts/effects. Project management responsibilities may include: coordinating projects, maintaining critical path schedules, organizing stakeholder engagement, and assisting with team workload management.. The historian will also prepare proposals, manage project delivery, communicate with clients, and track project budgets and schedules. This position provides a basis from which to grow a career at ICF in accordance with the candidate’s strengths and career interests, including historic preservation planning, regulatory compliance, and/or project management.
- Conduct historical research in local, state, and regional libraries and archives.
- Contribute to historic resources surveys and assessments, including site inspections, research, photography, and evaluation under state and national criteria for historical significance.
- Prepare historic property inventory forms (including statements of significance and architectural descriptions).
- Assist with preparation of CEQA, NEPA, and Section 106 regulatory documents.
- Collaborate with archeologists, architectural historians, planners, and cultural landscape specialists toward an integrated multi-disciplinary approach to cultural resources investigations.
- Collaborate in an integrated team with engineers, scientists, regulators, and other stakeholders.
- Provide project coordination and project management.
- Master’s degree in Historic Preservation or related field plus at least 2 years of professional experience, or a Bachelor’s degree in a related field plus at least 4 years of applicable professional experience.
- Strong written and oral communication skills; strong regulatory analytical talent.
- Demonstrated research and writing abilities, especially with the ability to present clear, precise, and authoritative arguments. Writing samples will be required.
- Proficient in MS Office Suite.
- Familiarity of CEQA, NEPA, NHPA, and other state and federal environmental regulations.
- Project management experience that demonstrates ability to track and execute projects within a larger team.
- Operational knowledge of the history and architectural history of California and San Francisco.
- Experience working with diverse community stakeholders and groups.
- Experience preparing marketing materials and/or proposals.
- Prior experience implementing historic preservation regulations, especially CEQA and NHPA Section 106.
Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth. If you’re seeking to make a difference in the world, visit www.icf.com/careers to find your next career. ICF—together for tomorrow.
ICF is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. (EOE – Minorities/Females/ Protected Veterans Status/Disability Status/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity). For more information, please read our EEO & AA policy.
Reasonable Accommodations are available for disabled veterans and applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an accommodation please email email@example.com and we will be happy to assist. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations. Read more about non-discrimination: EEO is the law and Pay Transparency Statement.
San Francisco, CA (CA78)