Be on Alert – Fraudulent Employment Offers. Learn More
Do you enjoy designing survey questionnaires and protocols, and advising clients and project teams on survey best practices? Do you want to make surveys better for respondents, and ensure that data are of the highest quality possible? Do you welcome the challenge of developing data collection methods in unique situations and on a wide range of topics? If so, this job is for you!
ICF Survey Research seeks an emerging Survey Methodologist to assist on a wide range of surveys that span health, transportation, energy, mental health, and education. You will work closely with Senior Survey Methodologists and the Director of Innovation on both short-term and long-term survey projects in a wide range of roles. Specific roles will depend on experience, ranging from supporting senior project directors and methodologists to leading questionnaire design tasks, methodology plans, and methodology reporting. The strongest candidates will have a passion to continue to grow their careers in survey methodology and will enjoy the challenge of designing complex methods to collecting or assembling the most accurate data possible.
ICF Survey Research serves clients such as the CDC, U.S. Department of Transportation, National Science Foundation, nonprofit organizations, for-profit companies, and numerous state and local governments. We are the largest single data collector for the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS), and conduct other high-profile, large-scale legacy surveys such as the National Youth Tobacco Survey (NYTS), Youth Risk Behavior Survey (YRBS), and the Higher Education Research and Development (HERD) survey.
ICF prefers that this position reside in either our Rockville, MD or Burlington, VT offices, but will consider remote employees. Due to current COVID-19 safety measures, currently all employees who can work from home are required to do so. Once it is safe to resume standard practices of commuter travel and social interaction per government guidelines, we expect office-based employees to return to an office presence as required by projects needs and management.
Key Survey Methodologist responsibilities include:
- Designing and testing questionnaires, including expert reviews, cognitive interviews (and other pretesting techniques), and assisting with development of programming specifications
- Developing general survey methodology, including data collection modes, contact materials or protocols, and interviewer trainings
- Co-authoring methodology and substantive reports for clients (e.g., writing, editing, and data analysis)
- Participating in ICF's methodology and statistics thought leadership by co-authoring or leading conference presentations, original research, proceedings papers and working papers, and peer-reviewed manuscripts
- BS/BA degree in a social/behavior science, or statistical science field and 6+ years of experience in survey design or administration, including experience with questionnaire design, interview design, or general survey methods design
- 2 years' of experience interpreting basic statistical results (e.g., percentages, means, chi-square, t-tests, and correlations).
- Master’s degree in survey methodology, a social/behavioral science, public health, statistics, or data science and 3+ years of experience in survey design or administration, including experience with questionnaire design, interview design, or general survey methods design
- Experience leading questionnaire design or pretesting tasks (e.g., cognitive testing, expert review, behavior coding)
- Ability to independently conduct and interpret statistical analyses, such as chi-square, t-tests, correlation, ANOVA, and regression
- Significant writing experience, including client reports, proposals, peer-reviewed papers or other type of thought leadership
- Exceptional verbal and written communication
- Attention to detail, organized, and proactive
- Ability to work with little supervision when needed, and knows when to ask questions
- Ability to manage multiple competing tasks and deadlines (workload commensurate with experience)
- Willingness to learn statistical techniques you do not currently know
Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth. If you’re seeking to make a difference in the world, visit www.icf.com/careers to find your next career. ICF—together for tomorrow.
ICF is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. (EOE – Minorities/Females/ Protected Veterans Status/Disability Status/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity). For more information, please read our EEO & AA policy.
Reasonable Accommodations are available for disabled veterans and applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an accommodation please email email@example.com and we will be happy to assist. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations. Read more about non-discrimination: EEO is the law and Pay Transparency Statement.
Rockville, MD (MD18)