Be on Alert – Fraudulent Employment Offers. Learn More
Wholesale Power Analyst
Wholesale Power Analyst
Analyzing fuel and power markets, supporting planning, policy, and investments as the energy sector transforms, developing renewable energy and distributed generation programs, advising on regulatory pathways and compliance. In these areas and more, you’ll find ICF. Backed by 40+ years of experience, our energy experts work at the intersection of technology, markets and policy, helping commercial and government clients devise effective energy strategies, make and manage investments, develop and implement programs for today, and tomorrow.
To support our growth, we seek an Energy Analyst to work in our Electric Power line of business with a focus on the State of California. The analyst will contribute to the development of innovative, accurate, timely, and high-quality products and services, typically working on multiple projects with all levels of staff. Analysts at ICF have an opportunity to apply their experience and academic knowledge, gain exposure to major projects, and interact with experts and clients in the field, while building content knowledge and consulting skills. Analysts advance in our consulting practice and develop an area of special competence, with increasing responsibility for project and client management.
- Simulate and develop models and tools to analyze electricity markets, with a focus on the California energy market, especially impacts of clean energy policies
- Provide fundamental analysis, insights and expertise in California electricity markets affecting utility scale and distributed energy resources
- Perform advanced quantitative and economic analysis of energy markets to assess and forecast the future of electric power and fuels markets, prices, power plant operation and valuation, fuel consumption, environmental emissions and compliance, transmission, regulatory effects, among other parameters.
- Collaborate with and direct junior staff on market research and modeling
- Interface with clients on key deliverables
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related discipline and 2+ years of relevant energy industry experience and/or Master's degree.
- Ability to demonstrate quantitative skills
- Microsoft Office Suite (PowerPoint, Word, Excel, Outlook, Access)
- Strong ability for quantitative research tasks related to energy, ancillary services, capacity and transmission markets.
- Advanced degree in economics, mathematics, operations research or engineering
- Power market experience
- California energy experience
- Knowledge of linear optimization and production cost modeling
- Experience programming in R, Python, Matlab, or VBA
- Previous consulting experience
- Strong modeling skills
- Passion for solution of complex electricity market problems by developing creative models and data. Understands task expectations and how tasks fit in the overall project.
- Works collaboratively with project team and client to achieve established goals.
- Organizes written work in a manner that is clear, easy to follow, and tailored for the intended audience.
Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth. If you’re seeking to make a difference in the world, visit www.icf.com/careers to find your next career. ICF—together for tomorrow.
ICF is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. (EOE – Minorities/Females/ Protected Veterans Status/Disability Status/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity). For more information, please read our EEO & AA policy.
Reasonable Accommodations are available for disabled veterans and applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an accommodation please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to assist. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations. Read more about non-discrimination: EEO is the law and Pay Transparency Statement.
Fairfax, VA (VA01)