Be on Alert – Fraudulent Employment Offers. Learn More
Environmental Health Scientist
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth.
We are hiring Environmental Health Scientists to join our teams in Summer 2021. Due to COVID 19, this position will be remote and eventually will be located in either Fairfax, VA or Durham, NC.
As a Health Scientist, you will:
- Lead tasks and projects to accomplish client goals and objectives.
- Work on a diverse team that specializes in identifying and quantifying the effects of environmental pollutants, such as metals, pesticides, and volatile organic compounds, on human health and the environment. For example:
- We support the Environmental Protection Agency’s Center for Public Health and Environmental Assessment (CPHEA) in developing risk assessments, such as Integrated Risk Information System (IRIS) assessments.
- We also provide fate and transport modeling, exposure modeling, and risk assessment support to EPA’s Office of Air Quality Planning and Standards and Office of Water.
- Review scientific and peer-reviewed literature to research a broad variety of scientific topics in environmental risk assessment, synthesize findings, and communicate them through various formats and media (e.g., written reports, online websites, visualizations).
- Conduct study data extraction using electronic systematic review procedures and tools.
- Conduct data and statistical analysis involving Excel, Access, R, SAS, Python, SQL, VBA, and/or other software.
- Participate in and support scientific workshop activities including notetaking, developing workshop summary reports, and other event logistics.
- Follow and implement standardized QA/QC procedures on documents and reports.
As a Health Scientist, you will have:
- The ability to lead tasks, manage budgets, delegate work, and produce high quality deliverables.
- The ability to interact with and present project updates to clients and develop quality professional relationships.
- Exceptional research and scientific writing skills, including editing, using reference management software (e.g. EndNote), and proofreading skills.
- Strong qualitative and quantitative data collection, analysis, and visualization skills. Experience with environmental science systematic reviews is a plus.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including experience with developing and delivering presentations.
- The ability to prioritize, multi-task, and work in groups, individually, and virtually under strict deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Master’s degree in Toxicology, Epidemiology, Public Health, Biochemistry, Biology, Chemistry, Environmental Science, Environmental Engineering, or related subject.
Please note: This position does not involve hands-on laboratory or field work.
Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth. If you’re seeking to make a difference in the world, visit www.icf.com/careers to find your next career. ICF—together for tomorrow.
ICF is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. (EOE – Minorities/Females/ Protected Veterans Status/Disability Status/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity). For more information, please read our EEO & AA policy.
Reasonable Accommodations are available for disabled veterans and applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an accommodation please email email@example.com and we will be happy to assist. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations. Read more about non-discrimination: EEO is the law and Pay Transparency Statement.
Fairfax, VA (VA01)