Editing and Publishing Specialist- 508 Compliance
ICF’s Transportation Practice specializes in addressing complex planning, policy, and program issues at the nexus of transportation and the environment, energy, and communities. ICF’s work focuses on integrated approaches that support sustainable transportation decisions, addressing mobility, safety, environmental, social, and economic effects of transportation. Our work includes strategic planning, research, policy analysis, outreach, training, and program evaluation for federal, state, and local governments, including the U.S. Department of Transportation, the Transportation Research Board, state transportation and environmental agencies, and metropolitan planning organizations, as well as local governments. We specialize in evaluating the impacts of infrastructure projects, programs, and government policies; developing guidebooks; and documenting best practices related to integrated planning, transportation operations, and the environment.
We are seeking an Editing and Publishing Specialist for ICF’s Transportation Practice. The individual chosen for this position will support technical writing/editing, layout and formatting, and 508-compliance activities. The candidate will work directly with clients and senior staff, as well as internal and external experts in their field of expertise.
Technical Writing/Editing Tasks
- Create editorial schedules and plan to ensure products are on-time and within budget.
- Create, implement, and maintain easily adaptable and applicable writing templates, style manuals, and guidelines to streamline and enhance the writing process.
- Apply skilled editorial expertise in conducting substantive editing, copyediting, and proofreading on short and long technical material, including reports, flyers, briefs, articles, etc.
- Ensure the accuracy and consistency of grammar, punctuation, spelling, punctuation, size/specifications, citations, and format in compliance with ascribed style guide (GPO, APA, Chicago, and organizational style).
- Obtain and archive final files/final products.
- Create document templates for large, complex Word and PDF documents that conform to formatting instructions and constraints, using/creating styles.
- Lay out and format publications using Microsoft Word and Adobe Acrobat.
- Ensure consistent application of style, typography, and other design elements to products.
- Create graphics and other branding elements for materials.
- Review document proofs to ensure published materials are error-free.
- Create accessible web content and/or accessible documents.
- Support Section 508 remediation efforts of MS Word, PDF, PowerPoint, and Excel documents.
- Transfer content efficiently from standalone documents (e.g., PDF, Word, PowerPoint, and Excel) into HTML webpages, and prepare online content that adheres to client standards and Section 508 requirements.
- Perform quality control reviews of documents and deliverables for Section 508 compliance.
- Utilize software tools to identify errors in document structure, headings, reading order, images, charts and tables, and any other document errors as they occur.
- Bachelor’s degree and at least 3 years of relevant professional experience.
- Demonstrated experience in technical writing, editing, and document layout and formatting.
- Experience and familiarity with Federal GPO requirements desired.
- Knowledge of or desire to learn Section 508 compliance standards, Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0, a plus.
Required Professional Skills
- Editing – Familiarity with editing text for professional reports and similar work products.
- Graphic Design – Familiarity with the principles and best practices of graphic design to ensure that page elements work together and are laid out attractively.
- Proficiency in computer skills, particularly Microsoft Word, SharePoint, PowerPoint, and Adobe Acrobat. Experience with Adobe InDesign not required but a plus.
- Ability to provide excellent, error-free quality control/assurance on all products.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to work both independently and collaboratively with other team members.
- Proven organizational, administrative, judgment and time management skills, with strong attention to detail and the ability to manage multiple ongoing activities.
Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth. If you’re seeking to make a difference in the world, visit www.icf.com/careers to find your next career. ICF—together for tomorrow.
ICF is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. (EOE – Minorities/Females/ Protected Veterans Status/Disability Status/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity). For more information, please read our EEO & AA policy.
Reasonable Accommodations are available for disabled veterans and applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an accommodation please email email@example.com and we will be happy to assist. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations. Read more about non-discrimination: EEO is the law and Pay Transparency Statement.
Washington, DC (DC02)