Be on Alert – Fraudulent Employment Offers. Learn More
Construction and Structural Engineer
ICF's Commercial Energy Division is growing, and we seek a consultant to join our Technical Advisory team in our Independent Engineering/Owner’s Advisory line of business. Our work is focused on energy sector projects and encompasses all phases of project lifecycle from concept development through decommissioning. This includes technical advisory and due diligence for projects during development and financing, construction monitoring, performance testing, periodic O&M and operating budget reviews, decommissioning, expert witness, and restructuring activities. Personnel within the Technical Advisory practice have experience in numerous technologies including; PV solar, wind, concentrating solar power, biomass, waste-to-energy, biofuels, emerging process technologies, combined cycle and simple cycle plants, thermal technologies, distributed generation, storage, demand response and other energy related technologies.
Our Technical Advisory team works collaboratively with our Power and Gas Market team, Environment and Planning team, and the greater ICF to provide comprehensive advisory services including strategic, investment, and portfolio management, operational planning; market development; policy analysis; regulatory support; and customer engagement.
Consultants at ICF integrate industry experience and advanced consulting and analytical skills. As a Construction and Structural Engineer, you will utilize your experience in industrial construction, cost estimating, and/or development of civil and structural design packages to support our team with a proven track record of technical consulting, and engaging with client decision-makers at manager to senior executive levels.
Positions require at least 5 years of experience in one or more of the following areas, or collectively across multiple areas:
- Renewable Generation including Wind, Solar, Energy Storage, Biofuels, and other Renewable Technologies
- Thermal Power Generation including both Coal-fired and Gas-fired technologies
- Bio-Fuel Engineering with an Emphasis on Production Facilities
- Bio-Mass and/or Waste-to-Energy Technologies
- Hydroelectric Generating Technologies
- Engineering, Procurement and Construction of Power Generation Facilities
- Fatal flaw reviews
- Preparation of capital cost estimates, budgets and/or construction schedules
- Preparation of civil and structural design packages
- Construction monitoring and construction supervision
Consultants will work from home or our Golden, Colorado office location, and travel occasionally depending on engagements and needs. Remote location may be considered.
You will contribute to the development of innovative, accurate, timely, and high-quality products and services, potentially working with all levels of staff. You will have an opportunity to apply your experience and knowledge, lead and provide technical input to major projects, and interact with experts and clients in the field, while building content knowledge and consulting skills.
- Review the feasibility of proposed capital budgets and construction schedules.
- Review and comment on geotechnical investigations, ALTA surveys, corrosion studies, site characteristics, and accessibility for construction and operations.
- Review and comment on proposed civil and structural design packages, including alignment with contract specifications and typical industry practices.
- Demonstrated ability to work within a close knit team environment comprised of multiple technical abilities and knowledge levels.
- Contributes to technical and cost proposal development.
- Support business development efforts including identifying, qualifying, and supporting the pursuit of both follow-on work and new business opportunities.
- Bachelor’s Degree in engineering or construction management field.
- Demonstrated experience delivering solutions to EPC firms, utilities, IPP firms, electrical cooperatives, municipal power authorities and/or other stakeholders for electrical generating technologies design and construction.
- Demonstrated understanding of current power industry issues including inside the fence power plant construction and/or operations, project development and integration; cost estimating and schedule development; civil and structural design aspects, and/or other technical areas of expertise related to generating technologies.
- 5+ years experience working on construction and design related issues in a power industry role.
- Master's in business or engineering or related field.
- Experience working effectively with technical and commercial business stakeholders, including strong facilitation skills.
- Consulting industry experience.
- Technical writing abilities.
- Field experience at project job-sites during construction or start-up phases.
- Independent engineering / finance due diligence experience.
- Bi-lingual capabilities, Spanish or Portuguese preferred.
- Ability to work autonomously with minimal guidance and ability to thrive in group solutions.
- A willingness to dive into a new topic and learn as-needed to answer various technical questions.
- Passion for the energy industry and solving complex problems.
- Strong intellectual curiosity, and enthusiasm to learn beyond what is required for daily tasks.
- Entrepreneurial spirit.
- Capability to extract trends and extrapolate understand from a set of data.
- An interest and willingness for learning new technologies.
- Willing to travel to often remote sites for short term site visits, inspections and meetings.
- Advanced MS Office Suite experience.
- A desire to work in a dynamic and diverse team environment.
- Strong written, oral communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work with and understand technical concepts while also being able to communicate them to varied audiences.
- Ability to work under deadlines in a fast-paced environment and a capability to prioritize tasks.
- Expect 30-50% travel, dependent on ICF COVID restrictions.
Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth. If you’re seeking to make a difference in the world, visit www.icf.com/careers to find your next career. ICF—together for tomorrow.
ICF is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. (EOE – Minorities/Females/ Protected Veterans Status/Disability Status/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity). For more information, please read our EEO & AA policy.
Reasonable Accommodations are available for disabled veterans and applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an accommodation please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to assist. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations. Read more about non-discrimination: EEO is the law and Pay Transparency Statement.
Golden, CO (CO15)