Consultant – Environment and food
Location: London, Brussels, Birmingham or Plymouth
Who we’re looking for:
We are looking for a Consultant to join a growing team within our business that develops, analyses and evaluates policies relating to food, farming, natural environment, biodiversity and marine policy.
ICF support the European Commission and UK government across these areas, working for the main institutions, departments and agencies. Clients include European Commission DGs ENV, MARE and SANTE, European institutions such as European Food Safety Authority and in the UK, Defra, Natural England, the Marine Management Organisation (MMO), and Food Standards Agency (FSA), as well as NGOs.
We are working on many of today’s most important policy issues, providing robust evidence and strategic support. For example, we are supporting the European Commission’s review of the regulation of seeds, and how it can be adapted to support biodiversity, food security and resilience to climate change; undertaking EU-wide research to encourage the food industry to reduce salt, fat and sugar in food; providing research and evaluation services on behalf of the UK Government to support the development of a new approach to pay land managers for providing public goods, as directed under the Agriculture Bill; providing a review of options for sharing the benefits derived from use of digital information on genetic resources, to support the UK’s negotiations at the UN Convention on Biological Diversity; evaluating the effectiveness of fisheries control and enforcement, as the UK moves to become an independent coastal state; and undertaking research on the economic benefits of marine protected areas, to support the European Commission’s blue growth policies.
From day one, you will contribute to a diverse range of assignments by undertaking qualitative and quantitative research and analysis that impacts directly on public policy decisions. In parallel, we will provide you with the opportunity to develop your knowledge and skills further through excellent training and development support, structured career guidance systems, our mentoring programme, communities of practice and line management arrangements.
Your main responsibilities will be to:
- Undertake policy and/or economic research and analysis
- Prepare descriptive and analytical reports
- Contribute to the management of projects and tasks
- Help us to win new work by contributing to compelling proposals
- Pursue business development opportunities and build networks and partnerships
We are looking for someone with the following skills and experience:
- Degree, Master’s degree or PhD in relevant discipline
- Strong qualitative, quantitative and analytical skills
- Demonstrable interest and experience in one or more of: food, farming, natural environment, biodiversity and marine policy
- Good understanding of UK and/or European policy-making process (experience of working on assignments for the UK Government or European Commission would be an advantage)
- Relevant professional experience of at least 3 years within the context of UK or EU public policy in a related field
- Business development experience, including contributing to proposals / grant applications, would be an advantage
- Advanced computer user skills (Microsoft applications)
- Exceptional writing skills
- Excellent oral and written English; fluency in at least one additional European language an advantage
- Highly-developed interpersonal skills and self-motivation
- High level of attention to detail and accuracy
Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth. If you’re seeking to make a difference in the world, visit www.icf.com/careers to find your next career. ICF—together for tomorrow.
London Riverscape (GB75)