Head of Internal Audit
We are seeking the Head of Internal Audit to support the growth and operational effectiveness of our global Internal Audit function. In this role, you will report to the Audit Committee of the Board of Directors and to the General Counsel. You will serve as the chief internal audit executive of the company and be responsible for providing independent, objective assurance designed to add value and improve business operations, including leading internal audit functions across all ICF’s legal entities and jurisdictions. This position will work out of our corporate office in Fairfax, VA.
- Work closely with the Audit Committee of the Board of Directors and Executive management to develop a risk-based internal audit plan/program across the company’s global business.
- Inform and brief the Audit Committee about the effectiveness of ICF’s internal control and risk management systems
- Work with senior leadership and executive sponsors to manage the Enterprise Risk Management program to include the facilitation of the annual, multi-phased risk assessment, the review, consideration and determination each year of the company’s top risks (including assessment of new/emerging risks), development and management of risk mitigation activities by executive sponsors and management, and regular reporting on the program and key risks to senior management and the Board.
- Establish and institutionalize consistent, well defined, and disciplined internal audit plans and risk assessment/management services for the company’s global operations that ensure the focus on business objectives and legal requirements and company standards. Develop and/or support the development of rigorous testing plans to evaluate processes across all functions of the business and conduct periodic risk and control assessments of areas of exposure to the company.
- Oversee the program of internal audits in the key areas of Finance, Compliance, Systems, Fraud, and Operations, e.g. test system upgrades for integrity against processes; ensure adherence to anti-corruption, data protection regulations and assess the design and effectiveness of cyber-security processes and policies, and incorporation of other components to the internal audit plan to address new or emerging business requirements.
- Identify and regularly communicate business risks and opportunities to senior management and the Audit Committee along with concise recommendations for remediation of risks. Work with management to review the development of action plans to remediate control weaknesses and areas for improvement. Assist in advising and training the business on best-practice for internal controls and new system implementations.
- Assist the Corporate Controller in providing overall direction and oversight over the Company’s Sarbanes Oxley (SOX) section 404 Compliance program.
- Manage and develop an efficient and dynamic team of internal audit professionals to execute the internal audit plan and related activities; coordinate internal audit activities with the external auditors and regulatory authorities.
- Oversee initiatives to automate internal audit activities, e.g. data analytics, robotic process automation, or process mining
- Assist in due diligence and integration for all mergers and acquisitions. As required, oversee the identification of potential issues and lead the integration of acquired firms into ICF’s internal audit processes and systems. Ensure that an appropriate level of internal controls and SOX controls are in place for all acquired entities; and that process owners are adequately integrating critical components of their functions.
Critical Skills, Education, and Experience:
- 15+ years of experience in Internal Audit, Corporate Accounting, Sarbanes Oxley, or Enterprise Risk Management (ERM)
- Demonstrated experience in successfully managing a team of audit professionals and managing an internal audit function for a publicly-traded U.S. company
- CPA, CIA, or CISA, and CFE
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related Business major
- Understanding of the 2017 COSO Enterprise Risk Management framework and emerging risk management concepts and control models
- Demonstrated experience in the strategic design, implementation and management of domestic and international internal audit strategies
- Demonstrated knowledge of complex US Federal, state and local regulations, specifically including U.S. Government Contracting requirements as well as international laws
- Experience working with and/or presenting to Audit Committees and Board of Directors
- Experience with both the commercial sector and government contracting environment
- Familiarity with International Audit standards
- Demonstrated Forensic Audit experience, CFA preferred
- Familiarity with Information Technology (IT) Audit concepts (e.g. COBIT)
- Business acumen to understand business risk and challenges, and recognizing corporate opportunities.
- Ability to understand the implications and consequences of business decisions, apply sound judgment and to provide appropriate assessment.
- Excellent communication skills with an ability to motivate others and communicate with all levels of management.
- Attention to detail, with outstanding levels of accuracy dealing with complex financial information
- Ability to work with a team in a fast paced environment to meet strict deadlines while managing multiple priorities
- Advanced knowledge of MS Office (in particular with Excel)
Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth. If you’re seeking to make a difference in the world, visit www.icf.com/careers to find your next career. ICF—together for tomorrow.
ICF is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. (EOE – Minorities/Females/ Protected Veterans Status/Disability Status/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity). For more information, please read our EEO & AA policy.
Reasonable Accommodations are available for disabled veterans and applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an accommodation please email email@example.com and we will be happy to assist. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations. Read more about non-discrimination: EEO is the law and Pay Transparency Statement.
Fairfax, VA (VA01)