Be on Alert – Fraudulent Employment Offers. Learn More
Environmental Analytical Chemist
Interested in making a difference to the planet? Want to work with a team of Environmental Chemists who care about the protection of human health and the environment? Are you seeking broad exposure to environmental remediation and Superfund related cleanup processes with interaction with EPA on a regional level? Enjoy travelling for your work?
ICF is seeking motivated Environmental Analytical Chemist to join our team of environmental professionals (including Environmental Scientists, Chemists, Biologists, Geologists, etc.) to support an EPA contract, the Environmental Services Assistance Team (ESAT), across the country. The team performs soil, water, air, waste and tissue sample analysis for chemical contaminants primarily supporting Superfund site assessment, remediation, and emergency response but also for compliance under the Safe Drinking Water Act and the Clean Water Act. The team supports EPA’s ambient air monitoring programs through sampling air for Pb and particulates and auditing ambient air analyzers for ozone, carbon monoxide, sulfur dioxide, and nitrous oxide under the Clean Air Act. This position will be located in client lab in Ft. Meade, Maryland.
Support a variety of laboratory support tasks including but not limited to sample login, sample preparation and analysis, and reporting. The initial focus will be on learning overall laboratory support of an environmental laboratory including sample login.
Receive environmental samples following proper procedures and guidelines for sample receipt.
- Properly organize and store samples after initial receipt.
- Log in samples using Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) and generate proper documentation.
- Communicate effectively according to established project-specific protocols.
- Perform other duties as assigned (e.g., glassware cleaning, sample preparation).
- Work on team with laboratory staff to ensure timely processing, analysis, and reporting of samples.
- Work independently following Standard Operating Procedures and laboratory health & safety and quality assurance plans
- Bachelor’s degree in chemistry, physical or life science or related field.
- The successful candidate must have or be able to obtain authorization for access to Fort Meade and U.S. EPA Environmental Science Center.
- Experience working with LIMS systems or related software.
- Proficient in MS Office.
- Able to lift, push and carry up to 40 pounds; able to work on your feet up to 8 hours per day including at laboratory benches; able to use a computer up to 8 hours per day.
- Able to pass annual field Health and Safety training and Medical Monitoring
- US Citizenship or Permanent Resident status required (required by federal government for position)
- 40 hour HAZWOPER training and other related safety training
- Attention to detail, organized, and excellent communication skills
- Ability to complete assignments within specific timeframes, multi-task, and prioritize
- Commitment to client satisfaction in all aspects of job performance.
- Experience working at DoD, EPA or other Federal facilities
Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth. If you’re seeking to make a difference in the world, visit www.icf.com/careers to find your next career. ICF—together for tomorrow.
ICF is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. (EOE – Minorities/Females/ Protected Veterans Status/Disability Status/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity). For more information, please read our EEO & AA policy.
Reasonable Accommodations are available for disabled veterans and applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an accommodation please email email@example.com and we will be happy to assist. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations. Read more about non-discrimination: EEO is the law and Pay Transparency Statement.
Maryland Client Office (MD88)