Senior Technical Writer and Portfolio Strategy Specialist - Rockville, MD
ICF seeks a Senior Technical Writer and Portfolio Strategy Specialist to support its Infectious Disease Portfolio. This role has two primary objectives:
- Support the infectious disease portfolio lead in developing and executing its annual strategy in line with broader International Health and Development Line of Business and ICF strategies
- Support strong writing for infectious disease project deliverables, working closely with technical experts to draft project work plans, technical briefs, technical reports and other project materials.
The Senior Technical Writer and Portfolio Strategy Specialist, working closely with the Infectious Disease Portfolio Lead, will help implement a strategy for the portfolio in the portfolio’s priority areas. Current priority areas for the portfolio are Global Health Security Agenda (GHSA), AMR and Tuberculosis, with secondary areas of focus in infectious disease health informatics, capacity building and health systems strengthening. The position is expected to develop a deep understanding of the core technical areas for the portfolio. This role is also responsible for providing technical writing support to projects within the portfolio and, as requested, other portfolios within International Health and Development. The position will be based in Rockville, MD, and may involve international travel. The position reports to the Infectious Disease Portfolio Lead.
The Senior Technical Writer and Portfolio Strategy Specialist provides support to specific projects and the ongoing technical development of the portfolio and its staff. Responsibilities are expected to shift over the course of the year depending on portfolio and project needs.
- Conduct landscape analyses and other research activities to inform portfolio leadership decisions
- Draft portfolio strategy documents and develop presentation slide decks
- Develop and monitor key events and conferences in the portfolio’s priority areas and identify potential opportunities for demonstrating thought leadership by project staff
- Draft stories, blog posts, presentation slides and other thought leadership materials working with portfolio leadership and staff. Work closely with ICF’s corporate marketing staff.
- Serve as a technical writing lead for key capture and proposal efforts in the portfolio’s priority areas,
- Stay current in the state of the field for USAID project implementation (CLA approaches, Journey to Self-Reliance, and other Agency initiatives) and the portfolio’s priority technical areas. Maintain a repository of key documents, and circulate routinely among the portfolio team.
- Develop technical briefs, synthesize and analyze program technical activities for large-scale, global projects with multi-country scopes of work.
- Write critical project deliverables including work plans, workshop reports, technical reports, and other deliverables.
- Conduct reviews of project deliverables written by others for technical writing quality.
- As requested, provide support to other portfolios within International Health and Development Line of Business with similar tasks.
- Master’s in Public Health, Science, English or other related field
- 5+ years of experience working in international development contexts
- Knowledge of the USAID and international development operating environments
- Demonstrated technical writing experience, including writing project technical deliverables and proposals
- Knowledge of the mechanisms and strategies that are deployed for infectious disease programs
- Strong capacity building and training skills.
- A demonstrated ability to work with multiple partners on collaborative projects.
- Flexibility to adapt to multiple and changing priorities.
- Strong organizational and presentation skills
- Ability and willingness to travel at least 15% in challenging country contexts
- Knowledge of French
Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth. If you’re seeking to make a difference in the world, visit www.icf.com/careers to find your next career. ICF—together for tomorrow.
ICF is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. (EOE – Minorities/Females/ Protected Veterans Status/Disability Status/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity)
Reasonable Accommodations are available for disabled veterans and applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an accommodation please email email@example.com and we will be happy to assist. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations. Read more about non-discrimination: EEO is the law and Pay Transparency Statement.
Rockville, MD (MD18)