Be on Alert – Fraudulent Employment Offers. Learn More
Senior Health Sciences Communications Specialist
To support ICF’s dynamic growth and expanding client base, we are seeking a Senior Health Sciences Communications Specialist to work in our Health Science Portfolio who will focus on science communication and technical report development. You will join a group of 80+ science professionals providing toxicology, epidemiology, chemistry, risk assessment, exposure assessment, environmental modeling, and related support that addresses the full spectrum of potentially hazardous agents. We support the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS) in answering scientific questions regarding human health and the Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA’s) National Center for Environmental Assessment in developing risk assessments, among other clients.
This position will focus on technical communication, editing, and report development. Job duties will include preparing NIEHS and EPA reports for digital publication using software tools; XML and HTML code; preparing compiled, formatted reports consistent with institute and agency guidelines; editing scientific text for clarity, grammar, and style; conducting quality control checks on report drafts; composing report text and compiling laboratory data and project summaries describing study methods, results, and discussion; and related activities. The candidate will also contribute to project management, training staff on publishing and report development processes, developing and implementing plans and procedures for quality assurance, and assisting Health Sciences staff in successful completion of deliverables.
This position does not involve hands-on laboratory or field work.
This position will be located in Durham, NC.
- Digitally publishing peer-reviewed reports on federal agency websites using XML and HTML software tools
- Formatting complex documents according to client standards
- Following and implementing standardized QA/QC procedures on documents and reports
- Performing technical editing of reports and publications on a range of technical and scientific documents
- Document production, including development and application of style/writing guides, style sheets, and template development
- Training of mid-level and junior staff in advanced Word application, template development, and basic editing
- Synthesizing scientific findings and communicating them through various formats and media (e.g., written reports, online websites, visualizations)
- Managing references and citations for technical reports
- Reviewing scientific and peer-reviewed literature across a broad variety of scientific topics and synthesizing findings
- Working collaboratively in teams and interacting and corresponding with project managers
- Managing document production and similar projects to ensure development of high-quality deliverables on time and within budget
- Master’s degree in technical communication or related field
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in toxicology, epidemiology, biology, chemistry, environmental science, environmental engineering, or related subject
- Five or more years professional experience in technical scientific communication, document production, editing, and writing, preferably in a field involving or related to assessing human health impacts of chemicals
- Experience with consulting preferred
- Minimum GPA of 3.0
- Fluency with publishing tools and XML code
- Fluency in MS Word styles and templates, publishing tools, and XML code
- Ability to demonstrate quantitative and qualitative research skills
- Exceptional research and writing skills, including editing and proofreading skills
- High level of attention to detail
- Written and oral communication skills, including experience with developing and delivering presentations
- Ability to prioritize, multitask, and work under strict deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Strong outreach and self-motivation skills
Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth. If you’re seeking to make a difference in the world, visit www.icf.com/careers to find your next career. ICF—together for tomorrow.
ICF is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. (EOE – Minorities/Females/ Protected Veterans Status/Disability Status/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity)
Reasonable Accommodations are available for disabled veterans and applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an accommodation please email email@example.com and we will be happy to assist. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations. Read more about non-discrimination: EEO is the law and Pay Transparency Statement.
Durham, NC (NC05)