Be on Alert – Fraudulent Employment Offers. Learn More
Are you passionate about improving quality of life through disease prevention, health promotion, and the care of chronic health conditions? Then consider ICF. We work at the forefront of today’s global health issues, helping clients understand the specific needs of diverse populations and address complex health challenges with behavior and disease surveillance and monitoring, research and surveys, training and technical assistance, and informatics and systems.
As an Associate Scientist in our Health Sciences Practice, you would join a group of 70+ science professionals provides toxicology, epidemiology, chemistry, hazard assessment, risk assessment, exposure assessment, environmental modeling, and related support that addresses the full spectrum of potentially hazardous agents, including chemicals and microbes. We specialize in identifying and quantifying the effects of environmental pollutants, such as metals, pesticides, and volatile organic compounds, on human health and the environment. We support the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS) in answering scientific questions regarding human health and we support the Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA’s) National Center for Environmental Assessment in developing risk assessments, such as Integrated Risk Information System (IRIS) assessments. We also provide fate and transport modeling, exposure modeling, and risk assessment support to EPA’s Office of Air Quality Planning and Standards and Office of Water to support the implementation of different aspects of the Clean Air Act, the Clean Water Act, and the Safe Drinking Water Act.
Associates will contribute to the development of innovative, accurate, timely, and high quality products and services, typically working on multiple projects with all levels of staff. Associates work with teams to support scientific workshops, conduct literature reviews, perform data extraction, and participate in other projects relating to human and environmental risk assessment . Associates have the opportunity to apply their academic knowledge, gain exposure to major projects, and interact with experts and clients in the field, while building content knowledge and consulting skills.
This position does not involve hands-on laboratory or field work.
This position will be located in Durham, NC.
- Participating in scientific workshop activities including note-taking and developing workshop summary reports
- Researching a broad variety of scientific topics and synthesizing findings
- Reviewing scientific and peer-reviewed literature
- Conducting data extraction and data entry
- Managing references and citations for technical reports
- Solving quantitative and qualitative problems
- Conducting data and statistical analysis involving Excel, Access, and other software, such as R, SAS, Python, SQL, and VBA, to summarize trends, develop and execute database queries, and develop and format modeling inputs
- Synthesizing scientific findings and communicating them through various formats and media (e.g., written reports, online websites, visualizations)
- Following and implementing standardized QA/QC procedures on documents and reports
- Interacting and corresponding with project managers
- Master’s degree in toxicology, epidemiology, biology, chemistry, environmental science, environmental engineering, or related subject
- Minimum GPA of 3.0
- Ability to demonstrate quantitative and qualitative research skills
- Exceptional research and writing skills, including editing and proofreading skills
- Qualitative and quantitative data collection and analysis skills
- Written and oral communication skills, including experience with developing and delivering presentations
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task, and work under strict deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Strong outreach and self-motivation skills
- High level of attention to detail
Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth. If you’re seeking to make a difference in the world, visit www.icf.com/careers to find your next career. ICF—together for tomorrow.
ICF is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. (EOE – Minorities/Females/ Protected Veterans Status/Disability Status/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity)
Reasonable Accommodations are available for disabled veterans and applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an accommodation please email email@example.com and we will be happy to assist. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations. Read more about non-discrimination: EEO is the law and Pay Transparency Statement.
Durham, NC (NC05)