Be on Alert – Fraudulent Employment Offers. Learn More
Interested in making a difference to the planet? Want to work with a team of Environmental Chemists who care about the protection of human health and the environment? Are you seeking broad exposure to environmental remediation and Superfund related cleanup processes with interaction with EPA on a regional level?
ICF is seeking a full-time experienced ENVIRONMENTAL CHEMIST to join our team to support an EPA contract, the Environmental Services Assistance Team (ESAT), across the country. The team performs soil, water, air, waste and tissue sample analysis for chemical contaminants primarily supporting Superfund site assessment, remediation, and emergency response but also for compliance under the Safe Drinking Water Act and the Clean Water Act. The team supports EPA’s ambient air monitoring programs through sampling air for Pb and particulates and auditing ambient air analyzers for ozone, carbon monoxide, sulfur dioxide, and nitrous oxide under the Clean Air Act.
The position is Richmond, CA based and may include travel/field work up to 25 percent of the year.
What You Will Do:
- Perform ICP-OES, ICP-MS, IC, GC or GC/MS or other analytical methods including calibration and QC following EPA methods.
- Perform instrument and data system maintenance.
- Perform field work in California, Nevada and Arizona with occasional trips to Hawaii possible.
- Field assignments require maintenance, calibration, and operation of field portable GCMS or similar instrumentation for the detection of volatile contaminants.
- Prepare detailed reports of field activities; contribute to method development, project planning and deployment strategies, as required.
- Take the lead role in SOP preparation and revision within area of expertise.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry or related field is required.
- 5+ years of environmental analysis experience is required.
- Proficiency with analytical instrumentation (e.g. ICP-OES, ICP-MS, IC, GC or GC/MS) is required.
- Experience working in a field laboratory (i.e. on-site) is preferred.
- Experience with field sampling procedures, biological surveys, remote monitoring equipment, or field-portable instrumentation is preferred.
- Knowledge of air sampling for PM2.5 and Pb in total suspended particulates as well as air monitoring instrumentation associated with gaseous pollutants (ozone, sulfur dioxide, nitrous oxide, and carbon monoxide) is preferred.
- Must possess a clean driving record.
MUST BE ABLE TO PASS an EPA background check to obtain access to US federal property.
Travel (driving, air travel, and extended trips) is required.
- Must be able to lift and carry 40 pounds.
- Possession of OSHA 40-hour HAZWOPER certification and current 8-hour refresher is desirable.
- Attention to detail, excellent verbal and written communication skills, and ability to work independently are required.
Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth. If you’re seeking to make a difference in the world, visit www.icf.com/careers to find your next career. ICF—together for tomorrow.
ICF is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. (EOE – Minorities/Females/ Protected Veterans Status/Disability Status/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity)
Reasonable Accommodations are available for disabled veterans and applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an accommodation please email email@example.com and we will be happy to assist. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations. Read more about non-discrimination: EEO is the law and Pay Transparency Statement.
Richmond, CA (CA47)