Be on Alert – Fraudulent Employment Offers. Learn More
Manager- Transmission Practice
Manager – Transmission Practice
ICF's Energy Advisory Services Line of Business is growing and seeks a Manager -- Transmission Practice to support our expanding natural gas and power team.
The Team’s primary services include:
Within the Commercial Energy Advisory practice, our Transmission Team provides owners, investors, and developers of energy assets with a comprehensive range of services to identify and pursue investment opportunities, including siting strategy, congestion and curtailment analysis for wind and solar generators; contract analysis and merchant market assessments; valuation of new and existing generation assets; and assessment of transmission and non-transmission alternatives to meet electricity load. Our high-impact work contributes to the continued development and improvement of new electricity generation and advanced technologies throughout North America.
In the past year, we have:
- Quantified the risks to wind developers in several markets of curtailment related to constrained transmission resources.
- Forecasted value streams for battery storage in the western U.S, Texas, Oklahoma and NY.
- Assessed the impact on energy market pricing of offshore wind connecting in the Northeast
- Determined the value of conventional generation resources to system reliability in the Mid-Atlantic
- Assisted renewable developers with siting strategy in Northeast, Midwest and western U.S.
What Will You Do?
As a leader in ICF’s Power and Gas markets practice, you will a key member of a client-facing consulting team within the Commercial Energy Practice. Reporting directly to the Transmission Lead, you will be primarily responsible for overseeing and directing teams conducting projects in the transactions space, for managing marketing and business development, and for review and presentation of analytical findings. You will oversee a variety of analytical and modeling techniques to develop forecasts of electricity market dynamics and to develop assessments of existing and proposed generation and transmission resources. You will oversee a variety of analytical and modeling techniques to develop forecasts of electricity market dynamics and to develop assessments of existing and proposed generation and transmission resources.
You will work collaboratively with other team members across the power and gas markets and technical advisory teams to further develop our offerings, improve our efficiency, and execute our growth and execution strategy for transactions business. This effort will require you to leverage your industry knowledge and relationships to initiate and actively engage in meetings with potential clients and to identify, pursue, and win new work. You will also support marketing efforts related to that strategy, including the development of concepts and material for thought leadership pieces.
- Manage a team of staff supporting complex projects and ensure high quality work products and the effective use of resources across projects.
- Lead teams that perform advanced quantitative and economic analyses of transmission and renewable energy , with a focus on North America, to assess and forecast the future of electric power markets and prices, transmission congestion and curtailment, interconnection and associated upgrades, power plant operation and valuation, contractual revenue and risks, and regulatory requirements, among other parameters.
- Build awareness of ICF’s capabilities via targeted marketing, thought leadership, market research, and outreach strategies to future clients.
- Manage and grow client relationships by delivering excellent value, consistency, quality, and dependability.
- Support and drive the development of new opportunities by leading interactions with potential clients and supporting proposal development.
- Collaborate and communicate effectively with ICF and client senior management
- Support sales and business development efforts with market research, proposal development and thought leadership
- Support and mentor junior staff to design and deliver work, to grow professionally, and to meet the strategic growth objectives of ICF’s Energy Advisory Services team.
- 7+ years of experience in energy markets analysis
- 5+ years of experience with nodal electricity market and transmission reliability analysis tools (e.g., PROMOD, PSLF, PSSE)
- Master’s degree, preferably in electrical engineering, but will also consider other engineering degrees, operations research, or economics
- Demonstrated current network of industry contacts within power and renewables.
- Demonstrated success managing teams of staff working on complex technical projects
- Strong analytical aptitude and demonstrated quantitative and/or modeling skills.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Economics, Business, Chemical or Mechanical Engineering or related subject (Master's degree preferred).
- Client management experience
- Business development experience
- Demonstrated experience working with renewable project developers and investors
- Demonstrated experience working as an internal or external consultant to the business.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Ability to apply detailed knowledge of organizational procedures to make independent decisions and serve as a credible resource for a senior management team.
- Ability to work with all levels of internal staff, as well as outside clients and vendors.
- Excellent problem-solving skills with ability to analyze situations, identify existing or potential problems, and recommend solutions.
- Strong organizational skills, the ability to work under strict deadlines and the ability to prioritize and multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth. If you’re seeking to make a difference in the world, visit www.icf.com/careers to find your next career. ICF—together for tomorrow.
ICF is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. (EOE – Minorities/Females/ Protected Veterans Status/Disability Status/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity)
Reasonable Accommodations are available for disabled veterans and applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an accommodation please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to assist. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations. Read more about non-discrimination: EEO is the law and Pay Transparency Statement.
Fairfax, VA (VA01)