Be on Alert – Fraudulent Employment Offers. Learn More
Energy Engineering Director
Energy Engineering Director
Western Region Commercial Energy Program Implementation Group
In anticipation of significant growth in the sector, ICF is adding an Energy Engineering Director to its Western Region Program Implementation team. This position will be based in one of our offices in San Diego, Irvine, Los Angeles, or San Francisco.
We are seeking a director level individual to build and lead a team of engineers and technical specialists working on implementation of energy efficiency and distributed energy resource programs in California, Nevada and the Pacific Northwest. The strongest candidates will have a deep level of experience with and understanding of energy engineering and policy related to energy utilities and residential and non- residential energy user markets. This individual will play a key role in designing and implementing utility-funded energy efficiency programs, including creating winning proposals for new business, energy audit reports and feasibility studies, estimating energy savings potential of measures using industry accepted calculation techniques and tools, writing technical reports, and supporting other efforts to assist utilities and end-use customers to develop energy projects. There will be opportunities to work on cross-functional teams, and to manage programs and other program managers.
- Build and manage a team of technical/engineering staff to support ICF’s Western Region Program Implementation group.
- Lead teams to identify energy efficiency project opportunities in residential and/or non-residential buildings and to help customers make the investment decision based on the financial attributes we develop and present
- Lead and/or contribute significantly to the new business development process, including positioning ICF for new business with new and existing clients, creating solutions in response to client needs, and writing winning proposals
- Provide technical assistance and guidance on energy efficient technologies and practices to internal and external clients
- Manage energy programs, and/or lead other staff that manage programs
- Develop and/or review technical reports, engineering calculations and cost estimates for energy efficiency projects
- Provide guidance to and oversight of various trade allies/contractors developing and installing energy projects for a wide range of customer and facility types.
- Develop workpapers supporting energy efficiency and demand response measures in accordance with technical requirements of the client, utility or Public Utilities Commission
- Prepare all inputs and calculate measure and program cost effectiveness metrics in accordance with requirements of the client, utility or Public Utilities Commission
- Conduct energy use analyses using interval meter data and/or building simulation models
- Bachelor’s Degree in mechanical or electrical engineering or equivalent
- 10+ years of relevant energy engineering experience
- Experience managing people, including performance reviews, promotions, and hiring
- Expert level knowledge and experience calculating energy savings and economics of energy efficiency alternatives, including manual and automated methods and tools.
- Ability to conduct ASHRAE Level 1, 2 and 3 audits and audit reports
- Demonstrated knowledge of building energy systems, including controls, motors, lighting, HVAC and domestic hot water systems
- Understanding of and experience with State and Federal building and energy codes and standards
- Understanding of and experience with various economic models of cost effectiveness for energy programs including but not limited to Total Resource Cost and Participant Cost tests used in California, Nevada, and the Pacific Northwest
- Professional Engineering License
- Certified Energy Manager
- Advanced knowledge of electric and gas generation and distribution systems, and distributed energy resources such as solar PV, battery storage, thermal energy storage, and demand response technologies and strategies
- Sales engineering experience
- Retro-commissioning, Benchmarking and Strategic Energy Management (SEM) experience
- Excellent verbal, interpersonal and written communication skills
- Excellent technical and non-technical writing and communication abilities
- Strong analytical, problem-solving and decision-making capabilities
- Team player with the ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Sound business ethics, including the protection of proprietary and confidential information
- Ability to apply detailed knowledge of organizational procedures to make independent decisions and serve as a credible resource for a senior management team
- Ability to analyze technical issues and convey conclusions to diverse technical and non-technical audiences
- Ability to work with all levels of internal staff, as well as outside clients and vendors
- Proficiency in MS Office Applications (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Excel)
Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth. If you’re seeking to make a difference in the world, visit www.icf.com/careers to find your next career. ICF—together for tomorrow.
ICF is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. (EOE – Minorities/Females/ Protected Veterans Status/Disability Status/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity)
Reasonable Accommodations are available for disabled veterans and applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an accommodation please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to assist. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations. Read more about non-discrimination: EEO is the law and Pay Transparency Statement.
Los Angeles, CA (CA75)