Be on Alert – Fraudulent Employment Offers. Learn More
Senior Infectious Disease Surveillance Specialist- Antananarivo, Madagascar
International Health and Development
Infectious Disease Detection and Surveillance Operations Manager
Infectious Disease Detection and Surveillance (IDDS) is a five-year, USAID-funded project with the following overall objectives: (1) Improve the detection of diseases of public health importance and identification of antimicrobial resistance (AMR) in priority infectious diseases through an accessible, accurate, adaptable, timely, and integrated diagnostic network system; (2) Improve the quality of real-time surveillance systems for pathogens of greatest public health concern, including AMR, and; (3) Generate evidence-based guidance and innovative solutions to strengthen in-country diagnostic networks and surveillance systems. ICF is seeking a Senior Surveillance specialist to be responsible for technical implementation of the project’s surveillance activities in Madagascar in coordination with relevant government counterparts in the Ministry of Health (MOH) and other technical and financial partners who undertake surveillance strengthening activities. This position reports to the IDDS Team Lead based in the Madagascar project office.
Overall responsibility is to support the strengthening of infectious disease surveillance capacity in Madagascar by providing technical assistance to enhance and expand surveillance capacity for priority pathogens and AMR. Specific activities will include:
- Support the MOH and Multisectoral Committee for Antimicrobial Resistance (CMC-AMR) to develop and implement of standard operating procedures (SOPs) for AMR surveillance data quality and to review regularly AMR surveillance data quality at national level.
- Convene regular meetings to improve the quality, timeliness, and accuracy of AMR surveillance data.
- Support the MOH to develop an AMR bulletin to facilitate the regular dissemination of AMR data.
- Document the various sources and flows of surveillance data, including from health facilities and hospitals, reference laboratories, and the community.
- Organize and facilitate multi-stakeholder workshops to discuss gaps in surveillance and recommendations for strengthening the surveillance system.
- Identify opportunities and formulate way to improve real-time reporting data of surveillance data and integrate epidemiological and laboratory surveillance data.
- Ensure IDDS’ technical assistance is coordinated with other government and development partners working in Madagascar.
- Follow established processes to ensure the technical and programmatic quality of IDDS work in Madagascar
- Work with the IDDS team lead to define and adjust annual work plans as well as implementing technical activities.
- Master’s degree or higher in public health, international development, or a related field with a focus on infectious disease detection, surveillance, and diagnostics
- At least five years of experience in public health programs in the country
- Technical competency in infectious disease(s) and surveillance systems
- Fluency in written and spoken French, good written and spoken communication in English
- Strong interpersonal skills in facilitation and stakeholder engagement/coordination
- Authorization to work in Madagascar
- Experience residing and working in Madagascar
- Familiarity with the infectious disease surveillance system in Madagascar
- Familiarity with US government health programs
ICF offers an excellent benefits package, an award winning talent development program, and fosters a highly skilled, energized and empowered workforce.
ICF is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. (EOE – Minorities/Females/ Protected Veterans Status/Disability Status/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity)
Reasonable Accommodations are available for disabled veterans and applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an accommodation please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to assist. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations. Read more about non-discrimination: EEO is the law and Pay Transparency Statement.
Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth. ICF—together for tomorrow.
ICF (NASDAQ:ICFI) is a global consulting and technology services provider with more than 5,000 professionals focused on making big things possible for our clients. We are business analysts, policy specialists, technologists, researchers, digital strategists, social scientists and creatives. Since 1969, government and commercial clients have worked with ICF to overcome their toughest challenges on issues that matter profoundly to their success. Come engage with us at icf.com.
Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth. If you’re seeking to make a difference in the world, visit www.icf.com/careers to find your next career. ICF—together for tomorrow.
Antananarivo, Madagascar (MG01)