Be on Alert – Fraudulent Employment Offers. Learn More
Chemical Engineer Consultant
Chemical Engineer ConsultantDenver, CO
Do you enjoy working in renewables, biofuels, renewable chemicals, fuel cells, energy storage, and or conventional power generation technologies? How about enabling project developers, financial institutions, and owners/investors to bring new projects online that support the future of energy around the globe?
ICF’s TECHNICAL ADVISORY TEAM IS DOING JUST THAT!
In the last year, we have:
• Supported the DOE Bioenergy Technology Office, monitoring the performance of next-generation projects and technologies within its Integrated Biorefinery portfolio of projects for the manufacturing of advanced/cellulosic biofuels, bioproducts, refinery-compatible intermediates, and pilot- or demonstration-scale projects.
• Provided financing reports for the construction of advanced and conventional biofuel projects, M&A acquisitions, and Renewable Natural Gas projects. Support included technical aspects, carbon intensity, and low carbon market aspects;
• Helped the Government of Ghana determine the technical differences in scope and budget to construct conventional generation technologies in West Africa to support Ghana’s integrated resource plan effort;
• Assisted project developers and equity investors with establishing their fuel, co-product, and environmental attribute value streams to structure projects in a financeable manner.
What would you do?
You will be a key member of a client facing consulting team evaluating project needs, identifying critical risks and providing solutions in support of energy project financing and development. Your primary responsibilities will include developing technical reviews of major project components, evaluating process designs of renewable fuel and conventional generation projects, drafting due diligence reports or sections within, and management of due diligence projects.
- Review process designs for conventional power, biofuel, renewable chemical, and waste-to-product systems for their capability to produce on specification products at the rate and availability within the project financial model.
- Analyze feedstocks and their impurities to understand how they may affect the downstream processes and or the products produced.
- Understand how process efficiency, transport, and feedstocks impact the carbon intensity of processes and how the carbon intensity can impact the financial performance of a facility selling into low carbon fuel standard markets.
- Perform detailed technical research related to the design of energy generation and biofuel projects, critical equipment technology development, and industry trends.
- Draft due diligence report technology sections for inclusion within full diligence reports used for financing
- Travel to project sites to witness pilot or demonstration facilities in operation, monitor the progress of construction, and for performance testing of new facilities entering commercial service.
- Manage independent engineering or owner’s advisory projects including client interaction, ICF team organization, and project financials and reporting.
- Develop and maintain client relations among developers, financial institutions, and technology providers.
- Bachelor’s degree in chemical/mechanical engineering or related field with a focus on renewable and conventional fuels.
- 3+ years of experience working in renewable fuel or related areas including process design of renewable energy projects, fuel transport & handling, and renewable technology development and/or analysis.
- Demonstrated understanding of current process design issues including: renewable fuel/chemical production; appropriate product standards and best practices; equipment selection; and process energy efficiency methods.
- Ability to work with and understand technical concepts, while also being able to communicate them to varied audiences.
- Willingness to learn about emerging technologies, including analyzing conceptual designs using good engineering practices and literature research to verify concepts that do not have commercial analogues.
- Interest in the interplay between process performance and business financials, specifically how process performance and operating costs impact the financial model and long term viability of the project.
- Strong organizational and project management skills.
- Master’s degree in engineering, business, or related field with a focus on renewable fuels or chemicals.
- Prior experience with technical due diligence for project financing.
- Engineer-in-Training or Professional Engineer’s license preferred.
- Experience with design, construction, operation, and/or development of biofuel/biochemical project a plus.
Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth. If you’re seeking to make a difference in the world, visit www.icf.com/careers to find your next career. ICF—together for tomorrow.
ICF is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. (EOE – Minorities/Females/ Protected Veterans Status/Disability Status/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity)
Reasonable Accommodations are available for disabled veterans and applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an accommodation please email firstname.lastname@example.org we will be happy to assist. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations. Read more about non-discrimination: EEO is the law and Pay Transparency Statement.
Golden, CO (CO15)