Be on Alert – Fraudulent Employment Offers. Learn More
Environmental Chemist – Laboratory Emphasis -VARIOUS LOCATIONS
Interested in making a difference to the planet? Want to work with a team of Environmental Chemists who care about the protection of human health and the environment? Are you seeking broad exposure to environmental remediation and Superfund related cleanup processes with interaction with EPA on a regional level?
ICF is seeking motivated ENVIRONMENTAL CHEMISTS (Laboratory Emphasis) to join our team of environmental professionals (including Environmental Scientists, Chemists, Biologists, Geologists, etc.) to support an EPA contract, the Environmental Services Assistance Team (ESAT), across the country. The team performs soil, water, air, waste and tissue sample analysis for chemical contaminants primarily supporting Superfund site assessment, remediation, and emergency response but also for compliance under the Safe Drinking Water Act and the Clean Water Act. The team supports EPA’s ambient air monitoring programs through sampling air for Pb and particulates and auditing ambient air analyzers for ozone, carbon monoxide, sulfur dioxide, and nitrous oxide under the Clean Air Act.
Work is available at various federal government laboratories across the US to include: Athens, GA; Edison, NJ; Richmond, CA; Corvallis, OR; Seattle, WA; Ft. Meade, MD; Chicago, IL; Denver, CO.
We seek Environmental Chemists who will work on a team to conduct preparation and analysis of environmental samples (e.g., water, soil, air, and biota). Typical assignments require maintenance, calibration, and operation of laboratory instrumentation. Some positions emphasize characterization of samples with respect to inorganic constituents using typical analytical techniques such as ion chromatography, flow injection analysis, and inductively couple plasma with optical emission or mass spectrometry. Some positions emphasize organic constituents using typical analytical techniques including gas and liquid chromatography and/or mass spectrometry. Duties also include preparing routine reports using a laboratory information management system (LIMS). The position requires strict adherence to standard operating procedures, health and safety policies and practices, and quality control requirements. This is an opportunity for your to do hands on laboratory analysis on a wide range of technologies from routine analytes (PCBs, trace metals) to emerging contaminants (PFAS/PFOA) and concerns (vapor intrusion from groundwater contamination).
- Bachelor's degree in chemistry or related field, or equivalent experience
- Inorganic analytical chemists require proficiency with IC, FIA, ICP-AES, and ICP-MS instrumentation and methods
- Organic analytical chemists require proficiency with GC, GC/MS, and LC/MS instrumentation and methods
- Attention to detail; excellent verbal and written communication and basic computer skills (e.g. Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat).
- The successful candidate must be able to work both independently and as member of a team of chemists and technicians.
- The successful candidate must have or be able to obtain authorization for access to Federal facilities.
- Experience using EPA methodologies in at least two of the following areas: volatiles, semivolatiles, pesticides, PCBs, metals, mercury, and wet/classical chemistry
- Experience in a NELAC-certified, DOD or DOE environmental laboratory is required for senior level experience applicants.
- Experience in specialty analyses such as dioxin/furans, PCB congeners, explosives or radionuclides desirable
- Experience reviewing/validating data from other methods/programs is desirable.
- Strong organizational and administrative skills
- Team player with flexibility to meet a variety of fluctuating and varied client requirements.
- Experience working at Federal facilities.
Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth. If you’re seeking to make a difference in the world, visit www.icf.com/careers to find your next career. ICF—together for tomorrow.
ICF is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. (EOE – Minorities/Females/ Protected Veterans Status/Disability Status/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity)
Reasonable Accommodations are available for disabled veterans and applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an accommodation please email email@example.com and we will be happy to assist. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations. Read more about non-discrimination: EEO is the law and Pay Transparency Statement.
Oregon Remote Office (OR99)