Be on Alert – Fraudulent Employment Offers. Learn More
Aquatic Ecologist On-Call
Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth. If you’re seeking to make a difference in the world, visit www.icf.com/careers to find your next career. ICF—together for tomorrow.
Aquatic Ecologist On-Call
ICF is in an exciting period of expansion and invites applications for an On-Call Entry-Level Aquatic Ecologist position. Requirements for this position include a college degree in biology, ecology, fisheries or similar. A strong quantitative background is required, and experience in ecosystem modeling is desired.
About On-Call Employment with ICF
Given the seasonal or project-specific nature of our environmental work, ICF often hires environmental professionals as “On-Call” employees. On-Call employees are scheduled for work hours as they become available (we usually schedule work hours a few weeks ahead of time), and each on-call employee is free to accept or refuse the hours assigned to them in a given week. On-Call employees may work concurrent projects outside of their ICF assignment (along as their outside work does not create a conflict of interest with the work they do for ICF).
The Aquatic Ecologist will work closely with ICF’s Fish and Aquatic Science Team to conduct ecosystem modeling studies, analyze data, and contribute to research synthesis and technical writing. The candidate may also assist with regulatory documents where technical assistance is needed.
Quantitative Background: Intermediate to advanced Excel skills and experience in programming (especially R). Have successfully completed at least three statistics-oriented classes at the college-level, and have a demonstrated interest in data analysis and ecosystem modeling or statistics.
Aquatic Ecology Expertise: Knowledge of and experience with Pacific Northwest aquatic ecosystems and key issues. Basic understanding of fisheries sciences. This individual should demonstrate expertise and be passionate about science, natural resources and resolving complex environmental problems.
Critical Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to complete and/or delegate work assigned by Senior Scientists
- Ability to conduct statistical analyses of biological data
- Ability to work independently with strong organization and coordination skills
- Ability to handle multiple tasks with overlapping deadlines
- Ability to accurately interpret and follow established guidelines and procedures and communicate accordingly to staff
- Ability to produce accurate and quality work products in a timely manner and be accountable for meeting objectives
- Ability to work collaboratively with others to resolve problems
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; able to express and exchange ideas
- Positive energy as evidenced in an optimistic outlook, a sense of humor and a disposition to encourage. Individual should be affable and someone that people generally want to be around
- Bachelor’s degree in ecology, fisheries, biology or equivalent science related field
- Demonstrated skills in data management and entry, developing graphs and data analysis including communication of project methods and findings in presentations and reports
- Aquatic science experience
Working Conditions and Physical Demands:
- Possible long periods of computerized data analysis in an office environment
ICF offers an excellent benefits package, an award winning talent development program, and fosters a highly skilled, energized and empowered workforce.
ICF is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. (EOE – Minorities/Females/ Protected Veterans Status/Disability Status/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity)
Reasonable Accommodations are available for disabled veterans and applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an accommodation please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to assist. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations. Read more about non-discrimination: EEO is the law and Pay Transparency Statement.
Portland, OR (OR08)