Be on Alert – Fraudulent Employment Offers. Learn More
Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth. If you’re seeking to make a difference in the world, visit www.icf.com/careers to find your next career. ICF—together for tomorrow.
ICF is seeking an energetic, self directed and detailed orientated Managing Editor who wiill be responsible for content development and overseeing the production of the NIJ Journal.
Roles and Responsibilities include:
- Content Development, activities that occur from the time the story idea is generated until the approval of the manuscript by the NIJ Director, including—
- Coordinating with NIJ executive staff and subject matter experts.
- Contacting authors and providing guidance about the story’s angle, tone, and format.
- Writing articles and other components for the NIJ Journal, which may include—
- One article per issue
- Director’s message (approx. 400 words)
- Two-page bulletin spread (approx. 1,200 words)
- Summaries for NIJ.gov (approx. 80 words per article)
- Advertisements and announcements
- Coordinate the review of drafts with NIJ staff and other individuals.
- Participate in planning discussions, prepare schedules, recommend content, write and edit articles and other sections, and provide support for executive staff meetings pertaining to the NIJ Journal.
- Coordinate review among authors, DOJ, and external reviewers (including resolving conflicting messages from reviewers), and NIJ executive staff.
- Coordinate copyedit of the manuscript and proofreading.
- Meet with NIJ Journal editorial board (teleconference or video conference), act as secretariat of the board, and solidify ideas for various sections of the Journal.
- Production Coordination, oversee production activities, including layout and printing activities, submitting laser proof(s) to NIJ for approval, submitting printer specs, preparing and delivering the printer package, and preparing and delivering HTML files for contribution to the NIJ website.
- Five years of directly relevant work experience writing and editing publications
- and various documents
- Excellent writing skills required and knowledge of style guidelines
We are looking for a driven changemaker – an individual who:
- Exhibits excellent client and customer facing skills.
- Has strong interpersonal and communications skills.
- A problem-solver, who’s highly organized with the ability to juggle multiple priorities and deadlines at once.
- Preferably has experience working with or for government clients, or experience working in a PR agency or similar communication setting.
- Pushes the communications, marketing and digital world forward, using technology and creativity.
- Demonstrates the ability to orchestrate the conversations that lead to innovation and meaningful impact.
ICF is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. (EOE – Minorities/Females/ Protected Veterans Status/Disability Status/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity)
Reasonable Accommodations are available for disabled veterans and applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an accommodation please email email@example.com and we will be happy to assist. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations. Read more about non-discrimination: EEO is the law and Pay Transparency Statement.
Fairfax, VA (VA01)