Be on Alert – Fraudulent Employment Offers. Learn More
Senior Field Biologist On-Call
Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth. If you’re seeking to make a difference in the world, visit www.icf.com/careers to find your next career. ICF—together for tomorrow.
ICF is currently seeking On-Call Field Biologists to be based out of our Sacramento, CA office.
This position involves providing biological resource surveys on a variety of energy, transportation, water, and urban projects in northern California. Fieldwork is likely to include wildlife surveys for special-status species and construction compliance monitoring. The Biologist also will prepare technical reports, assist with preparation of state and federal environmental permit applications, and assist in the preparation of technical studies and sections for California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) and/or National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) documents.
About On-Call Employment with ICF
Given the seasonal or project-specific nature of our environmental work, ICF often hires environmental professionals as “On-Call” employees. On-Call employees are scheduled for work hours as they become available (we usually schedule work hours a few weeks ahead of time), and each on-call employee is free to accept or refuse the hours assigned to them in a given week. On-Call employees may work concurrent projects outside of their ICF assignment (along as their outside work does not create a conflict of interest with the work they do for ICF).
- Independently and collaboratively perform field surveys for special-status species, natural communities and habitats. Field surveys may include walking transects, walking and mapping habitat boundaries, trapping or collecting specimens, visually identifying animal and plant species or digging soil pits for wetland delineations.
- Independently perform environmental compliance monitoring at construction sites (including preconstruction clearance surveys and environmental awareness training), coordinating with construction crews, and being responsive to ever-changing schedules.
- Evaluate project plans for determining potential impacts on special-status species and other biological resources.
- Prepare technical memoranda summarizing field survey results.
- Prepare construction monitoring reports and manage construction monitoring logs.
- Prepare technical (biological) sections for CEQA and NEPA documents, annual reports, and environmental permit applications under guidance of senior staff.
- Provide logistical support to task managers and project managers. Logistical support may include coordinating other ICF field staff and subcontractors, scheduling construction monitors, scheduling meetings, and invoicing.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Biological Sciences, Environmental Sciences or other related field of study.
- 5+ season of experience in conducting biological fieldwork for consulting firm, municipality and/or government department/agency.
- Experience working the San Joaquin Valley
- Proficiency in use of Microsoft Word and Excel
- Proficiency in use of GPS technology for navigation and data collection in the field.
Additional Preferred Skills/Experience
- Experience working with Northern CA special-status wildlife species (e.g., California tiger salamander, California red-legged frog, blunt-nose leopard lizard, giant garter snake, Alameda whipsnake, vernal pool branchiopods, San Joaquin kit fox, burrowing owl, giant kangaroo rats).
- Experience with data entry and formatting.
- Knowledge of federal and state laws and regulations relating to biological resources (including CEQA, NEPA, Clean Water Act, California Fish and Game Codes, etc.).
ICF offers an excellent benefits package, an award winning talent development program, and fosters a highly skilled, energized and empowered workforce.
ICF is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. (EOE – Minorities/Females/ Protected Veterans Status/Disability Status/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity)
Reasonable Accommodations are available for disabled veterans and applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an accommodation please email email@example.com and we will be happy to assist. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations. Read more about non-discrimination: EEO is the law and Pay Transparency Statement.
Sacramento, CA (CA56)