Be on Alert – Fraudulent Employment Offers. Learn More
Corporate Counsel – Data Protection, Intellectual Property & Technology
Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth. If you’re seeking to make a difference in the world, visit www.icf.com/careers to find your next career. ICF—together for tomorrow.
This position reports directly to the Assistant General Counsel and Data Protection Officer for ICF International (ICF) within the Office of General Counsel (“OGC”), and will be based in the company’s Fairfax, VA headquarter location.
The OGC comprises an exceptional team of experienced lawyers, auditors and industry specialists who specialize in providing extensive and general advice on, and managing the handling of, all major legal, regulatory, risk management and reputational issues affecting ICF on both a contentious and non-contentious basis.
The OGC is looking for a talented and dynamic attorney with demonstrated experience to join its fast-growing team. If you are inquisitive, collaborative, and enthusiastic about data protection, intellectual property and technology, come join us.
This is an exciting opportunity for an individual to help drive forward an extremely fast-paced, multinational consulting services company’s Global Data Protection and ePrivacy (GDPE) program and ensure ICF’s continued compliance with its related regulatory obligations and meeting the expectations of ICF’s own people, clients, regulators and the public. The successful candidate will work closely with the rest of the OGC, Data Protection Officer (DPO) and Data Protection Team (DPT) to directly and frequently advise company-wide business leaders and staff on a range of data protection, intellectual property, information technology, information security, marketing and related matters.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
Although the OGC team members; agenda and responsibility evolves and will result in other activities, we are primarily looking for someone who can:
- Work closely with internal business partners to understand their business processes, applications, projects and technologies to ensure compliance with data protection and ePrivacy laws and embed regulatory requirements and controls into projects, tools and services.
- Help enforce appropriate data protection and ePrivacy policies, notices, standards, controls and other practices and processes cross-functionally and as a part of global operations.
- Support efforts to ensure that the company complies with cross-border data transfer restrictions and data localization requirements concerning both intra-company transfers and transfers to third parties.
- Draft, review, negotiate and support data privacy and data security contractual provisions in a wide variety of commercial agreements.
- Assist the DPO, DPT and Incident Response Team in the review and coordination of potential data protection incidents/breaches, including investigations, notifications, and other resolution efforts.
- Develop, review and deliver (or arrange for the development and delivery of) data protection and ePrivacy training materials as appropriate and support efforts to raise awareness about ICF’s GDPE program, data handling practices, procedures and legal obligations.
- Conduct, guide and participate in legal risk assessments.
- Manage risk mitigation plans and make recommendations on the appropriate financial investment to accomplish the policies and implement the procedures.
- Maintain strong coordination, cooperation and mutual support between the OGC and other corporate departments with compliance obligations such as the internal audit, IT, marketing, HR and business groups to ensure that roles and responsibilities are effectively fulfilled in the ICF’s GDPE program and legal and ethical compliance program.
- Monitor and assess the effectiveness of ICF GDPE program compliance activity and facilitate auditing.
- Support responses to government investigations or queries as appropriate and/or required.
- Perform data protection and ePrivacy IP due diligence reviews.
- Monitor current and evolving statutes, regulations, and case law and help to identify legal issues of critical importance to the company.
- Proactively engage cross-functional global teams to identify potential IP risks and provide education and training to technical teams.
- Counsel on complex intellectual property transactions and aspects of commercialization efforts, including drafting and negotiating, including, but not limited to, technology transaction agreements, IP licenses, service or product development agreements, software licenses, software-as-a-service agreements, joint development agreements, collaboration agreements, patent pool and standards agreements, NDAs, and partnership agreements, supply agreements, manufacturing agreements, and developer agreements.
- Perform M&A IP due diligence reviews.
- Stay current on assigned regulatory and legal issues affecting the company
- Accurately and meticulously document evidence of all legal, compliance, and audit reviews and activities.
Required Experience and Education
- Education: JD from accredited U.S. law school, an active, good standing membership in at least one U.S. state bar, and current qualification or ability to immediately qualify to practice in Virginia, including through the Corporate Counsel designation
- 2-4 years of professional legal experience in intellectual property, and technology transaction matters with at least 3 of those years providing significant legal advice as a specialist in Data Protection; mixture of law firm and/or in-house experience preferred but not required.
- Intellectual agility, curiosity, and confidence to learn quickly on the job, learn to manage legal issues outside current experience and skill set, and
- Knowledge and proven record of success in in the following areas: managing efforts with identifying and addressing client needs; communicating complex legal concepts in a clear and simple way that fosters trust and respect and implement sound solutions and effectively and professionally resolve complex business and legal issues; identifying and analyzing complex legal/regulatory/business issues and providing appropriate legal advice regarding applicable legal and professional standards, often on a time-sensitive basis; providing practical legal advice and demonstrate sound judgment even in novel situations; understanding business goals in a way that helps leadership and staff evaluate risk effectively; and exuding creativity and not afraid to try something new to raise the bar and improve experiences with teammates and stakeholders.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or Electrical Engineering a plus.
- Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, and the ability to prioritize effectively to meet deadlines or business goals.
- Take pride in work and adds value outside of the day-to-day expectations of the role.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise sound judgment while working autonomously, effectively managing priorities, and improving the delivery of services to clients.
- Some proficiency in Spanish and French a plus.
ICF offers an excellent benefits package, an award winning talent development program, and fosters a highly skilled, energized and empowered workforce.
ICF is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. (EOE – Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans Status/Disability Status/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity)
Pay Transparency Statement: For more information, please click here: https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/pdf/pay-transp_formattedESQA508c.pdf
Fairfax, VA (VA01)