Be on Alert – Fraudulent Employment Offers. Learn More
Antimicrobial Resistance Advisor - Rockville, MD
Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth. If you’re seeking to make a difference in the world, visit www.icf.com/careers to find your next career. ICF—together for tomorrow.
International Health and Development
Antimicrobial Resistance Advisor
Are you passionate about addressing global health security issues through the strengthening of surveillance systems and laboratory diagnostic networks? Then consider ICF. We work at the forefront of today’s global health issues, helping clients understand the specific needs of diverse populations and address complex health challenges.
The Antimicrobial Resistance (AMR) Advisor's primary responsibility is to provide technical support related to strengthening detection and surveillance of AMR for the USAID-funded Infectious Disease Detection and Surveillance (IDDS) project. The project serves the Global Health Security Agenda, TB programs and other related initiatives. IDDS supports select governments and their relevant ministries in the strengthening of human and animal health diagnostic networks and surveillance systems for infectious diseases and antimicrobial resistance (AMR). The AMR advisor will be responsible for providing technical expertise to diagnostic network and surveillance system strengthening activities. Activities will be across IDDS countries and at the global level. The position is based in the ICF office in Rockville, MD, and will work as part of a technical team of highly experienced experts in the areas of infectious disease diagnostics, surveillance, informatics, research and innovation
The advisor provides leadership and technical assistance within the team on AMR pertaining to diagnostic networks and surveillance systems. This involves design, implementation and monitoring of technical strategies and programs, and the development of tools. Specific responsibilities include:
- Work closely with the technical advisors to ensure technically-sound and feasible approaches for AMR detection and surveillance across animal, human, agricultural and food sectors;
- Bring an understanding of multi-sectoral AMR patterns and epidemiology to technical solutions;
- Work closely across the partnership to ensure partner capabilities in AMR detection and surveillance are leveraged to best respond to country needs;
- Provide technical expertise to ensure that project interventions target priority gaps;
- Incorporate evidence-based methods, current practice, and established standards regarding AMR detection and surveillance;
- Serve as the project’s key technical backstop for specific countries as assigned, including technical and administrative responsibilities related to work plans, budgets, activity implementation and reporting;
- Provide virtual and in-person technical assistance to countries in GHSA and TB priority countries;
- Represent the project to external stakeholders and contributing to the knowledge base through participation in scientific forums and technical networks;
- Share new evidence and best practices with project, partners and host countries using informal and formal forums;
- Contribute significantly to project work planning and reporting; and
- Ensure that technical approaches align with project’s logical framework and monitoring indicators.
- Master’s degree or equivalent in infectious disease epidemiology, clinical diagnostics or related discipline
- 10+ years of experience in infectious disease detection or surveillance
- Five years’ of on the ground experience in developing countries
- Knowledge and experience with the latest diagnostic technologies, tools and approaches and antimicrobial susceptibility testing in general and multi-drug resistant tuberculosis
- Ability to work with multiple partners on collaborative projects
- Ability to create and maintain effective working relations with host country governments, international organizations, and US Government Agencies
- Ability to work in a complex project environment, set realistic priorities, and plan project implementation activities based on agreed upon priorities
- Strong English writing and oral presentation skills
- Fluency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Experience working in challenging country contexts
- Ability to travel internationally up to 35% time
- PhD, MD or DrPH in infectious disease epidemiology, clinical diagnostics or related field
- Direct experience working with the Global Health Security Agenda or MDR-TB detection
- French language skills
Selection of final applicant is subject to USAID approval.
ICF offers an excellent benefits package, an award winning talent development program, and fosters a highly skilled, energized and empowered workforce.
ICF is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. (EOE – Minorities/Females/ Protected Veterans Status/Disability Status/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity)
Pay Transparency Statement: For more information, please click here: https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/pdf/pay-transp_formattedESQA508c.pdf
Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth. ICF—together for tomorrow.
ICF (NASDAQ:ICFI) is a global consulting and technology services provider with more than 5,000 professionals focused on making big things possible for our clients. We are business analysts, policy specialists, technologists, researchers, digital strategists, social scientists and creatives. Since 1969, government and commercial clients have worked with ICF to overcome their toughest challenges on issues that matter profoundly to their success. Come engage with us at icf.com.
Rockville, MD (MD18)