Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth. If you’re seeking to make a difference in the world, visit www.icf.com/careers to find your next career. ICF—together for tomorrow.
Who we are:
ICF Olson is a collective of world-class agencies delivering across the spectrum of customer experience: creative expression (Olson), public engagement (Olson Engage), customer relationships/loyalty (Olson 1to1) and digital experiences (Olson Digital). Though experts in different areas, we are united in our common POV: Think like people. ® This means everything we do is made from empathy – the key to brand success in a world of ever-shrinking attention and ever-growing choice. Learn more at icfolson.com
Who we’re looking for:
We’re a growing team with a unique search mission. We are moving beyond just simple optimization into holistic findability -- creating content and optimizations that drive visibility across the entire digital experience. Sure, we focus on traditional search, but also lean into other opportunities like voice, image optimization, and e-commerce search engines, like Amazon.
We’re looking for a senior SEO Strategist to help drive findability that leads to great client results and articulate the performance to a wide range of audiences, from search pros to non-technical audiences. Scale is of critical importance, so experience establishing or refining processes would be a big bonus.
Our team works hard and keeps the atmosphere light. If you’re not having fun while you’re crushing it, what’s the point?
If you have most of the skills below (or are confident you can quickly acquire them), let’s talk!
What you’ll get to do:
- Interface with clients, so clear communication through multiple channels is essential to the role.
- Drive strategy and partner with other staff members on the execution.
- Utilize deep and wide skills in organic search, meaning you’re familiar with on-page, off-page, local SEO, barnacle SEO, image optimization, and voice. We subscribe to the concept of findability, wherever our audiences is searching, so we need someone that can think beyond the text on a webpage.
- Refine your skills: Search is ever-evolving, and we want someone that can move as the industry does. Demonstrating active, ongoing search learning is expected.
- Utilize and learn multiple tools for search auditing and execution: We generally use SEMRush, GetStat, SEOClarity and Screaming Frog, which aren’t requirements, but you should be comfortable learning different tools for search auditing and execution.
- Troubleshoot: You've gotten out of a manual and algorithmic penalties -- and know the difference between the two.
What you’ll need to succeed:
- Approximately 5 years of SEO experience.
- You should be comfortable auditing others’ work and clearly articulating where you find areas of improvement.
- Skepticism. "Best practices" are a dime a dozen in the SEO space. You've moved beyond the Google Gospel. You've used client data to confirm or deny how different tactics affect client sites.
- Technical expertise. We'd like someone that can help drive the overall program, so a technical bent is necessary. Hands-on experience with site hierarchy, robots.txt files, sitemaps, page load speed, search console, schema, and the like will help you be successful in the role.
- Clear communication. You can act as a translator, helping non-technical audiences understand your search strategies and tactics. You know search jargon, but don’t need to use it when talking to laypeople.
- Client services. When a client voices a question or concern, you can clarify to understand the root issue, and provide (or research) a solution.
- Collaboration. As the senior, you’ll help more junior members understand how they can support your vision and assist them as they grow to your level. You'll also be responsible for spreading the search gospel internally, across content, creative, and development resources, among others.
- Data storytelling. There are multiple narratives in the data. You know the right data to pull, can interpret it, and communicate it to relevant stakeholders.
- Strategic vision. You know what tactics should map to which situation
- Ongoing desire to learn and tinker. Perfection is a myth. You are constantly tinkering to find the best possible solution.
- You understand paid search. Extra bonus if you have examples integrating organic data to inform a paid search strategy (or vice versa).
- You’ve established process or standards for a search program.
- You have experience with data visualization tools, like Google Data Studio, Tableau, PowerBI, and the like.
ICF is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. (EOE – Minorities/Females/ Protected Veterans Status/Disability Status/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity).
Reasonable Accommodations are available for disabled veterans and applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an accommodation please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to assist. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations. Read more about non-discrimination: EEO is the law and Pay Transparency Statement.
Minneapolis, MN (MN03)