Be on Alert – Fraudulent Employment Offers. Learn More
Lead Modeler – Energy Markets and Natural Gas
Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth. If you’re seeking to make a difference in the world, visit www.icf.com/careers to find your next career. ICF—together for tomorrow.
We are looking for a self-starting individual to act as the key lead for maintaining and growing ICF’s internationally recognized Gas Market Model (GMM). The GMM is a highly regarded model of the North American natural gas market that has supported ICF’s strategic planning and market analysis studies for private and public sector clients for several decades. ICF’s Advisory Services Natural Gas, Oil, and NGLs team leverages GMM’s capabilities to support studies ranging from focused market analyses of pipeline expansions to broad studies of national and global policy initiatives. Work is often coordinated with broader activities in the power sector and de-carbonization analyses.
As Lead Modeler – Energy Markets and Natural Gas, you will first focus on learning the specifics of the GMM, including current processes for updating and maintaining model inputs, processes, validation efforts, and outputs. However, the goal of the position is to establish this role as the key owner of GMM. As such, the candidate will manage the day-to-day operations of the model, including supervision of support staff used for maintaining and updating model inputs. The candidate will also be responsible for identifying process improvements and strategic updates to the model design and application.
The ideal candidate would be a self-starter that is eager to expand their experience working in the energy sector and/or in economic modeling and forecasting activities to assume greater responsibilities. In addition to managing the model, the candidate would be expected to participate in regular discussions on model applications and implications of model results for strategic studies and policy initiatives.
Key responsibilities for the role include:
- Assuming and managing the day-to-day responsibilities for maintaining and updating the GMM, including ongoing basic maintenance functions and updates to ensure the model is functioning properly
- Overseeing local resources tasked to support GMM maintenance
- Working with U.S. based Gas Market Experts to regularly update the model design and infrastructure to reflect key changes in North American Natural Gas Markets
- Working with U.S. and local gas and power exports on the application of the GMM to various analytical studies in gas and other markets
- Developing and documenting best practices for data integrity and quality control related to the maintenance and updating of GMM
- Identifying improvements to existing processes to improve the efficiency and accuracy of model runs
- Identifying and developing ancillary products of interest to the market that leverage existing GMM processes, inputs, and outputs
- Performing detailed quantitative analysis and basic research on the North American Gas Markets supply, demand, gas storage, and pricing trends to ensure the GMM is capturing changes to the North American gas markets
- Master’s Degree in engineering/economics or IT/Technology.
- 5 years’ of prior experience working with modelling languages or the energy sector.
- Proficient in programming languages like Python, Visual Basic, C++ (Fortran a plus), SQL
- Attention to detail, with well-developed problem-solving skills
- Thorough understanding of economic principles, and an ability to apply these principles to analyzing and solving key client issues.
- Strong outreach, organizational and self-motivation skills
- Strong proficiency with excel spreadsheets, word processing software programs, and the Internet,
- Strong interest in applied economic research
Preferred Skills & Qualifications
- PHD in engineering or IT/Technology.
- Basic understanding of the oil, gas, and utilities business in North America, including resource development, midstream infrastructure, demand, and regulatory issues
- Demonstrated experience with market assessments, forecasting, quantitative analysis and asset valuation, risk assessment and hedging strategy, and quantitative methods.
- Excellent oral communication, writing skills, and an ability and desire to prepare 'client ready' presentations.
New Delhi, India (II77)