Be on Alert – Fraudulent Employment Offers. Learn More
5G Research Scientist
ICF is seeking a highly talented and motivated Research Scientist with demonstrated experience in wireless research and standardization. The ideal candidate will have a strong background radio communication and signal processing including emerging 5G enabling technologies. This is an opportunity to join a diverse & dynamic team to gain experience and exposure to cutting edge research and development.
- Identify complex problems and design advanced, yet practical solutions for massive MIMO systems, joint communication and sensing, full duplex communications.
- Perform research in the areas of 5G, cognitive radio, software-defined radio, MIMO, mmWave and THz communications.
- Leverage network/system simulation software to design and test unique solutions and the use of network analyzers, signal generators, signal analyzers, etc.
- Innovative thinking about hardware, RF design, software and combinations thereof as well as technology evaluation, concept design, prototype development, implementation and demonstration.
- Present and report research results and publish scientific findings in peer-reviewed journals.
Education, Experience, Citizenship and Clearance Requirements
- Masters or PhD. Required in NSF supported fields with Computer Science being preferred.
- 5-7 years experience within the wireless industry with emphasis Physical layer/Layer1 in LTE Advanced and 5G New Radio standards.
- Experience in signal processing principles in radio access and media handling, i.e., on the operation of cellular modems, audiovisual codecs, physical layer, protocols
- Experience in 3GPP standardization on SA and RAN WGs
- Experience in the design of wireless communications systems
- Strong understanding of core network technologies and concepts.
- Strong theoretical backgrounds related to telecommunications, especially wireless (cellular) communications
- A proven track record of scholarship (e.g. publications, patents, copyrights, etc.).
- Comfortable working as part of a team.
- Experience evaluating wireless baseband performance and user experience Programming ability in R, Python and Matlab Research/publication experience+
- Experience with Software Defined Radio Systems including GNU Radio with a demonstrated ability to use design patterns and software engineering best practices for secure, scalable, reliable, rapid implementation.
- An excellent record of productive and creative research as demonstrated by publications in peer-reviewed journals.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and the ability to effectively communicate to a scientific audience.
Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth. If you’re seeking to make a difference in the world, visit www.icf.com/careers to find your next career. ICF—together for tomorrow.
We can only solve the world's toughest challenges by building an inclusive workplace that allows everyone to thrive. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to hiring regardless of any protected characteristic, such as race, ethnicity, national origin, color, sex, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability status, or military/veteran status. Together, our employees are empowered to share their expertise and collaborate with others to achieve personal and professional goals. For more information, please read our EEO & AA policy.
COVID-19 Policy: New or prospective U.S. employees must provide proof of complete vaccination on the date of their commencement of employment. If selected for employment, you will provide proof of your full vaccination status, defined as vaccinated two weeks after receiving the requisite number of doses of a COVID-19 vaccine approved or authorized for emergency use by the FDA.
Reasonable Accommodations are available, including, but not limited to, for disabled veterans, individuals with disabilities, and individuals with sincerely held religious beliefs, in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an accommodation please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to assist. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations. Read more about non-discrimination: EEO is the law and Pay Transparency Statement.
Maryland Client Office (MD88)